Get a load of this! A Samurai?!?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Get a load of this! A Samurai?!?!?

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 10-10-2002, 04:37 PM   #1

Get a load of this! A Samurai?!?!?

Get a load of this!

I was just outside fixing the annoying wind noise I get from the top of my windshield due to the "seal" on my hardtop, and this guy that lives next to me says, "You should get rid of that thing and get one of these, I had a Jeep and it wasn't half the 4-wheeler this is!" He was talking about his *laugh* Samurai!!!

He's got one of those little 64hp So-suki Samurai trucks! What a toy - maybe good for going up bike trails, but who is this guy to compare it to my YJ!?!?!? He must be smokin' some CRACK if he thinks his little toy with go up HALF what my YJ will! He has it lifted a bit and one of those huge exhausts coming out the back...

Anyone ever have one of these Samurai things? Looks like it'll roll at 30km/h!

HA!

Dave

No dang radio!
5420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 06:12 PM   #2
93jeepyj2.5

Yea, I have heard of them.

One of my friends has one, and he swears it will go through more mud and up more hills then my YJ.

His is a 3 cylinder Samurai with a small lift and 30" BFG AT's.

I have rode with him a few times in it offroad and it is a good trail riding machine, but does nothing in mud and wont go up any good hills.....basically, its good for having fun on dirt roads.

One of these days I will show him how incapable his Samurai is offroad.

-Heath

P.S. He is one of those guys who thinks a STOCK Hummer will go farther than ANYTHING offroad. I try to tell him all the time, that for half the price of a Hummer I could make a Jeep go more places than a Hummer ever thought about going.

Anybody agree with me?

03 TJ Sport.....31" MT/R's on MT Classic II's
93jeepyj2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 07:43 PM   #3
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

you could build your own friggin 4X4 for less than half the price of a hummer and it could go just as far as it. As for the Samurai, isn;t there a problem with short wheelbases ?? don;t people with SWB jeeps often try to lengthen them? I would think this tiny wheelbase would screw the samurai?

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 07:52 PM   #4

Hummer? No thanks...SIR!

No, no, no. The Hummer is a MILITARY vehicle, nothing more. Impractical and VERY hard to service and maintain - I can make a super evil, LS1 powered, psycho-high, 40" rock-crawling nut-breaker go up the side of a vertical WALL with that kind of money!! - SIR!

I'll stick with my trusty YJ...

Dave
No dang radio!
5420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 07:56 PM   #5
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I look at it this way ..

My YJ cost me 1/3 the price of a stock new TJ, I can go just as far as a hummer can (maybe even further .. never know ), I have enough power to climb steep highways, long trails, some mud and rocks and such.

I have wheeled with Sami's, and believe it or not, they are very capable .. but its not to wonder seein' as their frame design and such was taken from the CJ-2a .. basically a modern version of the CJ-2a. Take an aftermarket flat-fender body and strap it to the Sami's frame, and you have an instant success
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 09:36 PM   #6
LoOpY

2 of my buddies wheel samis, and ill never dis them again. not pretty, and lacking in brute power, these things still rescued me from quite a few predicaments i got into. they can really walk through alotta mud, but as far as flex, its nill. <shrug> like i said, ill never make fun of one again. (other than how they look) *giggle*
LoOpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 09:50 PM   #7
tophillrod

I would have to agree w/ Neakid - the samuri is starting to make a name for itself in it's own class if you will... There is a mud run(well there was) every year in Oregon - it was a lake that was drained every spring (if I am in the correct month) and had a 4x4 fest there. I have seen samuri's w/ 44's there that walked on top of the mud where no one else could go. I myself would never buy one just because I love Jeeps soo much. + I have seen my dad go into holes w/ his '47 2a that I had to say no to because I would have ended up on my side....I got him back later on that day though by going through a hole that was too deep for his 2a. Take some and loose some I guess.
Warn tire rack
Dana44 rear w/ Track lock
4:10 gears
135k and running strong...
tophillrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 04:20 AM   #8
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai

2004 KJ Liberty 

lots of samie's out here, for the money they are great fun, wheel pretty good, cheap to rebuild, and becous of the short track they can drive with one weel in the track and one out. they lack some power for clibing, but when we go wheeling they keep up pretty well

Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
MugZy_YJ_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 06:21 AM   #9
Mels95YJ

Well, I'll just echo the sentiment here. If you put down a Sami, apparently you've never wheeled with one. My brother-in-law has one with 31's on it, and I've seen pictures and videos of him doing some stuff that most people wouldn't try in whatever vehicle they drive. It all comes down to driver ability. A person could build a Pinto and do amazing things with it. Would I choose a Sami over a Jeep? No. My brother-in-law would though. To each their own.

Mel
Unread 10-11-2002, 06:31 AM   #10
Bob K

Just to add to the mix. My first 4x4 was an Isuzu Amigo XS. I four wheeled with it extensively, but always looked at the "real" 4x4', ie Jeeps with great envy. I eventually traded the Amigo (what a wimpy name, I was always embarassed) for my YJ. Which is awesome. I would never go back. But I would have to say the Amigo, despite it's long wheelbase and enemic engine, was an extremely capable 4x4. Bone stock it would stand up against my Jeep which has many thousands of dollars and work invested.

Ya never know!
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 12:57 PM   #11
bigblueyj

sorry guys iam siding with the sammi guys. In fact iam selling my yj to get a xj and trailer and sammi. you can built a sammi 1/3 of the cost of a yj.
bigblueyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 03:26 PM   #12
Dan Morera

Unread 10-11-2002, 04:16 PM   #13
Mels95YJ

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblueyj
sorry guys iam siding with the sammi guys. In fact iam selling my yj to get a xj and trailer and sammi. you can built a sammi 1/3 of the cost of a yj.
Well, I didn't actually say I'd rather have a Sammi instead of a Jeep. I just wanted to state that they're just as capable off-road as a Jeep. Of course, it has a lot to do with the driver too. Again, to each their own.

Mel
Unread 10-11-2002, 04:37 PM   #14
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblueyj
I personally wouldn't do that .. sell my YJ. I would pickup a second (and third, and forth) 4x4 that I could take onto the trails. But, how many 4x4's do you really need? A decent trail/highway vehicle would be great (hence 4Wheeler's UltimateAdventure)

I would love to do that trip!!!!
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 10:46 PM   #15
bigblueyj

want a sammi heres sammi

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...&car_year=1988
bigblueyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.