GenRight gas skid plate installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > GenRight gas skid plate installation

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-20-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

GenRight gas skid plate installation

Well I finally got my gas skid plate in, all 73 lbs of it. I've decided to go ahead and replace all the rubber hoses while I have it down. What about the fuel pump? Normally I'd go ahead and change it (its 21 yrs old) but a new one is almost $300. For you guys who have done the gas tank drop, is it easy enough to do that it's worth waiting till I needed the new pump, or would you do it now? I've seen all the threads on dropping the tank, any special tricks for putting this new skid plate on?
Thanks!

Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
Well I finally got my gas skid plate in, all 73 lbs of it. I've decided to go ahead and replace all the rubber hoses while I have it down. What about the fuel pump? Normally I'd go ahead and change it (its 21 yrs old) but a new one is almost $300. For you guys who have done the gas tank drop, is it easy enough to do that it's worth waiting till I needed the new pump, or would you do it now? I've seen all the threads on dropping the tank, any special tricks for putting this new skid plate on?
Thanks!
21 years and no issues?

Naw.. leave it in there. It's good for another 21 years. Besides, think of the money you'll save by not having your fuel tank dinged up when the flatbed winches your jeep up for the $400 tow home from the trail head.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:05 AM   #3
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Geez I like to be the merchant where you shop. Rockauto.com fuel pump 25-100 bucks.

But hey Reno is a gambling local. I`d just leave the 21 year old pump...............
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
ownTer
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Swap it, and cut a access hole in the tub for future repairs.
ownTer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmmm,so if I read the subtleties between the lines I read “change the fuel pump stupid” Okay, my "don't mess with it if it ain't broke" does not win over common sense, got it!
I'll have to shop around, that price was from Morris. I don't like reman's so I may have to pay more. Is the fuel gauge sending unit part of the pump? If I'm going to do it I may as well do it all.
Thanks for the back of the head slap guys!
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The sending unit is separate from the pump. I just replaced my pump with a Bosch from Amazon. $60. And I wouldn't cut an access hole in the tub. I just got done welding mine back up. If you replace the pump and lines now long will it be until you need to get into it again?

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Access holes are dumb.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Access holes are dumb.
Yea I don't mind taking a few nuts off and disconnecting hoses to avoid cutting the tub up. Besides since I'm doing everything maybe I'll get lucky and have another 20+ years trouble free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.