Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Generic YJ body resto question.

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MikeS1605 
#1 · (Edited)
So I want to start this thread by saying I know its a ****ty question to ask. I'm actually a construction estimator and I hate when people ask about the price of things I have yet to see or have any details about. But Im going to do it anyways.

Im about a week away from getting my buddies 93 4.0 wrangler at a killer price. But being in the Midwest, there is a tiny bit of rust starting here and there. I Have never had any body work done so I have absolutely no idea what even a rough cost is for this work. That being said, around about what is the cost to get a few small spots cut out, new sheet welded in, bondo's and everything sanded for paint?

Not only am I getting the Jeep at a killer price, I have the opportunity to get a pretty nice paint job done at a great price through people my company deals with (actually its the company we rent our office from.) That being said, I started thinking about getting the body in tip top shape and getting it sprayed. This obviously let to looking into new fenders, that led to bumpers and well you all know how it grows...

So before I let my mind get to far ahead of me, I wanted to make sure that monetarily Im not really getting in over my head.

So what kind of numbers do you think one could expect to pay for some minor rust removal?

Again, im sorry for the context of the question. I know its hard to give an answer on something you can not see. I WILL however get some pictures of next week when I get it.

Just in case anyone was curious, the plan for it off the bat was:
-Hurculined tub and wheel wells
-Powder coat roll bars, front and rear bumper and a few odds n ends.
-Custom center council and rear storage box
-New speakers and radio.
-banks ram air filter, possibly banks complete package with exhaust, etc.

If the price to have the body cleaned up is reasonable then it will be painted and some new fenders put on.

My goal is is kind of unusual for a jeep owner. I want something that has a little pep to it, looks decent (not looking to chrome it out...), and in the winter drives better then my current front wheel drive POS. So for now im thinking pretty small. The only big performance mods i can find review on is the air intake. So i don't know what else to do with it from there. From what I understand the 4.0 I6s are around 190HP and the banks ram air claims around a 25HP boost. I would love to get her around 250 Horses to cruise around with. I drive on the express way a lot in Chicago So having a little power is always a plus for me. I wont be doing much rock climbing down town Chicago.

Any Questions comments or criticism is VERY much appreciated. Thanks guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you want quality work or Maaco work or spray paint work?

Quality work will set you back a least $1200 including painting the Jeep.

Maaco will be under $500, but they will just bondo over the rust.

For about $200 you can cut the rust out, weld in a patch, bondo it, and paint it yourself with spray paint or Duplicolor's Body Shop premix paint from a parts store.

Those are just ball park prices.

#3 ·
You will be surprised how well the 4.0 performs on the highway even without the air intake HP.

#4 ·
sorry I should have been a little more specific. I was just curious around how much the cutting patching and bondoing was, not the painting. The place im getting it painted at usually runs around a grand for just paint with normal colors. He was showing me paint that was 2 grand for a quart. that chameleon color changing stuff. the paint shop I will be going to is MORE then reputable. It sure as hell wont be a maacco job.

I just wanted to make sure it wasnt going to cost me 2 G's just to get a few rust spots cut out and patched. Again, I have NO idea what that usually runs so i didn't want to be taken by surprise.

Rusty, I was thinking about that. If people are spending the money to swap the 4.0 into there 2.5 Jeep, i was thinking it had to be decent. If it wasn't people wouldn't be spending the money on the swap. thank you for somewhat solidifying that thought I was having. I still cant help looking at that complete banks kit. it has great reviews in a bunch of jeep and off road mags. The header, head pipe, ram air and exaust would run a grand. not too bad...

#5 ·
When I got my Jeep, I thought "couple bucks here and there for some minor things". I thought that it was almost perfect the way it sat at the curb.

That was a year ago..........and about $3000 ago.........

Still gonna paint it, small lift, must have a winch and jeez those sunrider tops sure look nice.

Is a 1989 Jeep Wrangler Islander considered a dependant for purposes of income tax deductions? Can I claim it as a special needs member of the family? Can I start an IRA for it?

#6 ·
Yea I have pretty meek thoughts so far. The only other thing I like that gets expensive is the metalcloak fenders. Even though I won't be doing any climbing, damn do those MCs look aggressive. But it is like 1500 for a set of front and rear fenders. I don't know if I like them that much. They may be a fair price if you are using them for what they are intended for, but 1500 for something solely for looks is steep for me.

So to revise my list, this is what it looks like will be happening.

All body work done
New paint
New fenders (brand to be determined)
herculiner the inside.
Powder coat roll bar and front n rear bumper.
new center counil
New speakers and radio
Banks ram air, header, head pipe and exhaust.

This will (should) tide me over till winter.

Then around November I will throw some new Rims and shoes on it. Something nice and knobby to get me through the Midwest Snow.

We'll see how it goes from there.

#7 ·
Post some pics of what it looks like and it would be easier for everyone to tell what you are working with. Many of the body panels are bolt on or cut and paste and are very cheap. If your working with a good starter it might not be that bad. Post some pics!

#8 ·
will do. I should have it within the week. the clutch is gone so i cant drive it. The previous owner (one of my best friends) bought a new OEM clutch for it, it just needs to be installed. So we are going to put it on a trailer and get it to my house and rip it apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.