General axle question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > General axle question

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 09-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
NJscott
1990 YJ Wrangler 

General axle question

Background:

My jeep has been mothballed for the past few months while preparing for and executing an engine rebuild. The engine is now back in and running strong.

Problem:

During this time one of the seals on my front axle went bad and i had been putting that off since the rebuild was a little more important. Well the other day i decide to tackle the seals so i can finally get her back on the road. When i get inside the diff I find (to my dismay) that there is no safety pin holding the inner rod that keeps the shafts in place. So i grab my problem solver (BFH and a punch ) and figure ill have it out of there in no time. WRONG! The rod will not budge. My only thought is that the PO lost/broke the safety pin and glued the rod back in. Does any one have any Plan A suggestions (Plan B being Axle swap)?

daystar 1" bl
1.25" booms
NJscott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

You have me confused, are you talking about the hollow pin that hold the spiders together on the carrier or something else? That is the only pin I can think of in there.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

front or rear?

what rod?

are you talking about removing the pin from the carrier?
there should be a pin that goes through on one side of the carrier through the rod. this holds the rod in the carrier and keeps the spider gears in place, but doesn't hold in the shafts. the pin needs to be tapped out, but it can only go one way. if it doesnt come out that way, tap it out the other way.

the c-clips hold in the shafts (but not on the front...some d30s do and some dont have c clips-- they don't really need them).

Build Thread
jeep stuff
chupacabrah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

You should be able to just pull the shafts out unless you have a C-clip and in that case just pop off the C-clip and then pull the shafts.
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You have me confused, are you talking about the hollow pin that hold the spiders together on the carrier or something else? That is the only pin I can think of in there.
This.

The cross shaft in the carrier is held in with a roll pin which holds the spiders in. The axle shafts themselves can be removed by pulling the hubs (assuming you have the non c-clip style D30. For some reason I recall there being a few years that had a c-clip in the front D30.

Which seal is leaking? Is it coming out of the tubes or the pinion?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
NJscott
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I hope this works.

Dana 30

In the box marked 14 there is a rod that goes between the gears which is supposed to be held in by a through bolt. this through bolt is missing and the rod wont come out. I tried on both sides with no luck
daystar 1" bl
1.25" booms
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I know my 90 had the C-clip but I tossed it out when i installed my Aussie.
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

It is a roll pin and I get mine out my tapping with an allen wrench and then you have to tap out the rod but none of this needs to be taken apert to fix an axle seal. Are you trying to fix a seal or put inn a locker or replace spider gears?
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
NJscott
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The tube seal is leaking.

I was just following my service manual which said to remove the cross shaft so i havent tried anything else. Either way the roll pin is missing.

Thanks louie4 for cleaning up my nomenclature.
daystar 1" bl
1.25" booms
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Are you sure it is missing? You should be able to see right thru it. Can you fit a screw driver all the way thru were it is supposed to be. I just find it hard to believe it is missing and things didn't fall apart on you. But once again you can take the carrier out in one piece to get it out of the way, there is nothing in there that has anything to do with seals. Those are in the axle housing.
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
NJscott
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The smaller safety roll pin is missing i stuck an allen wrench all the way through. The main cross shaft is still there.

I find it hard to believe too, thats why i think the cross shaft was glued back in or something
daystar 1" bl
1.25" booms
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

At any rate you don't need to take it apart so I would make sure you grab one and toss it in before you put it back together. I am sure someone will have one or you can probably get one for a buck or so at the auto parts store.
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJscott View Post
The tube seal is leaking.

I was just following my service manual which said to remove the cross shaft so i havent tried anything else. Either way the roll pin is missing.

Thanks louie4 for cleaning up my nomenclature.
No problem. Some of my other technical terms are "doo-hicky", "thinga-ma-bob" (or thinga-majigger) and "doo-da-lolly".

As for the roll pin you can get them at Lowe's. To replace it you'll need to take the carrier out and unbolt the ring gear, at least I had to when I was putting my Lock-Right in. If you can get the roll pin in without interference from the ring gear then disregard my next sentence.

Make sure you mark or take a picture of the orientation of the carrier bearing caps, which side they go on and mark the carrier and ring gear to make sure you put it back the same way as well. It's usually good practice to replace the ring gear bolts but I ended up using loctite and torquing them to spec.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you gearing is 3:07 you can do it with out taking off the ring gear but if it is 3:55 or lower you will have to take it off.
Unread 09-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #15
NJscott
1990 YJ Wrangler 

OK. So im working on it this weekend and i could use some suggestions as how to do this. I got the outer shaft on the passanger side out and i am working on getting the drives side out. any tips would help alot. The haynes manual has nothing to say on this topic.
daystar 1" bl
1.25" booms

Tags
axle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.