gears broke in rear end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > gears broke in rear end

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
caribouhunter1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

gears broke in rear end

so had a load clicking noise coming from the rear end as i was driving the other day. finally opened rear dif todays and find one of the smaller gears and broke in half and teeth missing from a couple of the other gears. i am not very smart with stuff like this but have a buddy that is and is willing to help. what would you recommend getting just new gears or just a whole new rear end. its from a 89 yj and looked up vin and has a dana 30 is what i have found? help please

Matt

caribouhunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i and just about everyone else will recommend going to a junk yard and picking up a ford explorer axle with disc brakes for about $250 and swapping it in. then you wont have to worry about your rear anymore
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed^^^

Find out your gear ratio and match it with the new axle. Some will say that replacing the broken part is all you need but I would feel inclined to slap them on the back of the head because they have forgotten their thinking caps. The question is not where to find the replacement part that broke but why it broke in the first place. Your axle tube is possibly bent and your entire rear end may be toast. And not good toast but more like s*** on a shingle but not edible.

Whatever.

Match gear ratios and never put a dime into a Dana 35
Unread 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Dirttracker18
1995 YJ Wrangler 

While the swap is a big improvement, it will involve some fab and set up.

If that is out of your current range you may be in luck. Sounds like you broke a couple of spider gears. If there is no damage on the ring or pinion you may be able to simply change out the broke gears. It is an easy process if your friend has a little skill and knowledge.
Dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum.

I suppose what you're going to have to do is determine what you want to use your Jeep for, and what you have available locally as far as junk yards, Jeep clubs, how much money you care to spend, and what tools you have at your immediate disposal as well as your level on the Wrangler Wrenching Scale of Mechanical Competency. If you need least expensive, get you back on the road, find some new spiders and grit your teeth, it may work just fine. If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. You can find a replacement D35 in a JY and just bolt it directly in, smile and then go drink beer. Just make sure you get a ratio matching what you have up front, or there goes any savings when you grenade your T case first time you put it in 4WD. You could of course get both front and rear axles from the same Jeep in the JY, so long as you can find the ratio you're pleased with.

You can graft in a Ford 8.8 as others of the cognoscenti have suggested, it requires a bit of skill and some welding; Junkyards are full of them in Ford Exploders, Mountaineers and you'll have to come up with a custom driveshaft likely. If you don't have local laws about tires being totally covered, you could find late 70's F250 etc and go full width with some awesome axles, Or you could score a pair of custom Currie axles or even some Rockwell planetaries if you are independently wealthy and just want to spend money and boost the economy. Tons of options.

Check local Craigslist postings, etc, I bet you can find a ton of choices, and let us know how it turns out.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a great article on the 8.8 to help you identify and choose correctly.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=371713

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge.
That tears it, I'm asking santa for a thesaurus. Hope you don't mind me sharing that little nugget of wisdom in my sig.

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Also OP, just want to make sure you clued in on something Ophi59 touched on, your rear axle is a dana 35, not a 30. The dana 30 is the front axle.

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep108 View Post
That tears it, I'm asking santa for a thesaurus. Hope you don't mind me sharing that little nugget of wisdom in my sig.
Certainly.

Um, what's another word for "thesaurus?"

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Certainly.

Um, what's another word for "thesaurus?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

you may be in luck. find out your gear ratio and post it up. i have a set of gears w spiders (the little crappy fragile ones you may be dealing with) and carrier for a D35. PM if interested and good luck
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
RedJeepBlueJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Day after I bought my jeep 6 years ago, the rear axle gears locked, u-joint broke and little pieces of metal were all over the road. I took it to dealer, I know, they charged me $2500 for one they pulled out of junkyard and put new gears and axles in...would not go that route again, can save a lot of money doing it yourself
RedJeepBlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

For $2500, I could build a VERY nice set of axles.
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
X2 I only have $800 total in both mine.
30 tru-trac
8.8 spartan
4.10s
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
x2, i dont have anywhere near that in mine and im locked on chromo shafts with 5.13 gears and warn locking hubs
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.