Which gearbox do I have? 91 4.0 H.O. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which gearbox do I have? 91 4.0 H.O.

The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffPANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread Today, 08:38 AM   #1
mr_cox
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Which gearbox do I have? 91 4.0 H.O.

Hello all,

My name is Bas, living in The Netherlands. 29 years old and bought my first Wrangler about a month ago. Nice to see there is a big community supporting those great machines. I will read a lot and will place a question now and then. When I start the restauration I will open a project topic. I will try to communicate in my best English.

The Jeep Wrangler I bought is a mid 91 4.0 H.O. Laredo. I am planning to restore it in about a year. Till that time I just going to drive and enjoy it. The chassis is in very good shape. The body and interior has some work.
I have read a lot about the Wrangler and noticed that there is written a lot about the Peugeot BA-10/5 gearbox as it will break down easily. The AX-15 used on later models is much stronger.

Now I want to check which gearbox is used in my Jeep. What is the easiest way to confirm without removing any parts? Or is the Peugeot not used on the 4.0 H.O. models?

I read that the part keeping the shifter in place on the AX15 is secured with 4 bolts, the Peugeot with 3. So removing the rubber cover should do the trick?

Thank you for any advice
Best regards,
Bas

mr_cox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 09:06 AM   #2
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Unless it has been replaced you have the ax15
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 11:57 AM   #3
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ To confirm this for yourself, and for the benefit of anyone else looking at this thread in the future the critical visual difference between the 2 transmissions in question are the case. Crawl under there and look at your transmission. The BA 10/5 case is bolted down the middle, side-to-side, kind of like a suitcase would be. The AX 15 is bolted together front-to-back. I do not have photos of the BA in my files, but here is a photo of the AX 15.

Comparison shot of the NV3550 on top, and the AX 15 on the bottom. Sorry I don't have photos of the BA 10/5 but there are a lot floating around on the forum I will snag and edit in here for you if I can find them.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 01:42 PM   #4
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That sure is one shiny turd of a BA
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 02:16 PM   #5
paulsadog
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As stated, there is plenty of info on the forum if you search for it. Try this web site for a bunch of useful info.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ba10_5.htm
paulsadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 03:09 PM   #6
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
That sure is one shiny turd of a BA

Um, where you see a BA? There are no BA photos posted yet in this thread up to post #4. Don't confuse our Dutch OP.

Mr Cox--nice Jeep there, but what are the square things poking forwards out the front part of each front fender?

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread Today, 04:33 PM   #7
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Left is AX-15 (good transmission for an offroad jeep) right is BA10/5 (slightly undersized, but ok for on road driving. Not worth repairing in the states due to the number of cheap AX-15 transmissions available from the junkyard). Your mileage may vary, as rebuild kits may be cheaper to get than an entire transmission in the netherregions.

However, you should also note that the 1991 Wrangler came with an AX-15 transmission. The BA10/5 stopped being used mid way through 1989.

Notice the rugged looking structural exoskeltal formation of the AX-15 on the left. On the right, the BA10/5 is buttoned up along the longitudinal axis (bolts face laterally left/right) and it doesn't have the same pronounced lateral structural shaping. Don't use color as a guide here, as oil can easily taint your identification.

mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 05:01 PM   #8
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great photos Mike, I couldn't find the one I wanted of the 2 of them standing on the bellhousings side by side.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread Today, 05:02 PM   #9
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I probably should have said that those aren't my photos, I stole them from the internets

www.4wdmechanix.com A really great site! It helped a lot with understanding the carb to FI upgrade packages available for the pre 91 258 engine
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 07:53 PM   #10
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
but what are the square things poking forwards out the front part of each front fender?

I'm pretty sure that those are the euro spec turn signals.
Drednot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 08:02 PM   #11
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

These are out of the 1987 New Wrangler dealer intro package
Drednot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.