gear upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > gear upgrade

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-14-2001, 11:07 PM   #1
mule-brothers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

gear upgrade

Hi
Iím new to jeeps
I have an 89YJ 6cycl. Itís total stock I think. Iíve been reading and listening to many opinions about lift kits gears ect. I want to give it a lift so I think Iím going to go with the Rubicon express extreme lift The reason for this is it seem to be one of the better lift kit out their (by popular opinion) I donít want to have to mess with sagging spring later on down the road. Also a Tom woods tail shaft kit. Iím thinking of running 32Ē tires and maybe at some point running 33Ē tires this is my daily driver it will probable never see the abuse most people would give it off road. However you never know just in case I want to abuse it I want it to capable of the abuseÖ.My question is if I upgrade to 4.56 gears running 32Ē because of the possible 33Ē later or just upgrade to 4.11 gears which ones would be better for all round performance? I'm learning as I go so any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mule-brothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2001, 10:27 AM   #2
Cody_91YJ

I ran 4.56 gears with 33" tires before I went to 35s.
I'm thinking 4.11s might be more up your alley though for 32" tires if you seldom plan to off-road. With the 4.56s your RPMs get much higher going down the road. Can't remember for sure, but 70mph was pretty close to 3000 rpms compared to 2100 stock gears & tires. But you'd have a sweet crawl ratio and plenty of power.

Just depends on what your preferances are, I'd usually say 4.56, but if you'll be on pavement most of the time, 4.11s might be for you
Unread 05-15-2001, 07:45 PM   #3
Loomis4wheeler

Try to think about your long term goals. Do you plan to keep your jeep and add to it each year? Your off road treking might change a few years down the road. Another thing to consider: are you doing this work yourself? If so, the cost is not as great with later changes.One option is to go with the 4:11's and if you get into more rock crawling, you can add a Tera 4 to 1 transfer case (current price=1k). This will give you the low wheeling gears. I have 4:56's and run 33", its not my daily driver, however, it see's it's share of pavement. I have learned to back off and take my time when driving the jeep.
Loomis4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2001, 10:24 PM   #4
mule-brothers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help so If I ran 33" tires and mostly on road driving would the 4.11's still be the gear to go with. The higer the number of the gear the lower it is for low end not top end like highway driving right. Just trying to fugure this system out in my head
Thanks again
Unread 05-16-2001, 12:13 PM   #5
Loomis4wheeler

You are correct, 4:56 is a lower gear than 4:11's. As for which gear to use, that's a toss up. You know best what you want and expect out of your jeep.
Unread 05-16-2001, 12:14 PM   #6
Loomis4wheeler

You are correct, 4:56 is a lower gear than 4:11's. As for which gear to use, that's a toss up. You know best what you want and expect out of your jeep.
Unread 05-17-2001, 11:08 AM   #7
mule-brothers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the info so now I can figure out what might be best for me
Thanks again

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.