Gear swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gear swap

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 01-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Supertrey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Gear swap

I found this in the stickies:
Rear Axles
Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used '87-'89
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used '90-'95

I found a great deal on a carrier and ring and pinion from a 1989 YJ with 4.10 gears.
If I read the above info correctly, this will not work in my 1992 YJ because of the C-Clip axles in my '92?

Supertrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the carrier and ring n pinion doesnt have anything to do with the C clip or Non C clip
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

fill in your profile...

Regearing is expensive.. cheaper to find axles with the gearing you want and swap them in..

What are your plans, regearing / swapping a D35 is a waste , Research ford 8.8..

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=371713
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

they will work, but do you have the knowledge to do the swap yourself? if yes then nothing wrong with spending a few extra bucks to end up with a rebuilt rear end. if no and you will be paying someone to do it just find another rear with the gears you want.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What you need to know/find out, is if the replacement non c-clip carrier will accept the c-clip style carrier side & possibly spider gears too.

Reason being - the c-clip style side gears are machined differently so that they accept the c-clips while the non c-clip side gears will not. IIRC, there could be size differences between the two types.

It *might* be a simple case of using the old side gears (and *maybe* the spider gears too) if the carrier allows.

One other factor you may need to consider is if the non c-clip carrier still has the carrier bearings pressed on it. If it does & you don't get the races with it - then you will be doing a mix-match of the bearing parts.

Plus, you *may* need to remove the old carrier bearings and press them on the other carrier. If not successful - new bearings will be needed. If the bearings are old or worn - you'll want new ones.

You're gunna need shims, gear marking compound, probably a new pinion gear crush sleeve, seal etc since the gears will need to be set-up not to mention the tools required.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Supertrey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
fill in your profile...

Regearing is expensive.. cheaper to find axles with the gearing you want and swap them in..

What are your plans, regearing / swapping a D35 is a waste , Research ford 8.8..

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=371713
I am going to do the swap myself, with the help of a friend who has the right tools and has done several. That should negate the labor charge. I have found several sources locally for the gears and carrier, coming in under $100 bucks.

I have researched the waggy d44s and the 8.8s and have decided to go D44 long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
What you need to know/find out, is if the replacement non c-clip carrier will accept the c-clip style carrier side & possibly spider gears too.

Reason being - the c-clip style side gears are machined differently so that they accept the c-clips while the non c-clip side gears will not. IIRC, there could be size differences between the two types.

It *might* be a simple case of using the old side gears (and *maybe* the spider gears too) if the carrier allows.

One other factor you may need to consider is if the non c-clip carrier still has the carrier bearings pressed on it. If it does & you don't get the races with it - then you will be doing a mix-match of the bearing parts.

Plus, you *may* need to remove the old carrier bearings and press them on the other carrier. If not successful - new bearings will be needed. If the bearings are old or worn - you'll want new ones.

You're gunna need shims, gear marking compound, probably a new pinion gear crush sleeve, seal etc since the gears will need to be set-up not to mention the tools required.
In light what you pointed out about the machining, I will stick with the carrier out of the 90' and up non abs so I stay on the safe side.
Supertrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.