Gear shift hard to move in neutral when hot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gear shift hard to move in neutral when hot

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
spshultz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Gear shift hard to move in neutral when hot

Got an odd problem with the trans when it gets hot.

When the Jeep is cold the trans is very easy to shift. Very smooth. The shifter will move side to side easily and it will spring back to the center position. I don't have any issues with it when it's cold or just a little warm.

But, when the Jeep gets hot the trans gets real hard to shift but that's because the shifter will not spring back to center when you come out of a gear. And, in neutral it's really hard to move side to side. It feels like the plastic concave thing the shifter ball sits in it swelling up and gripping the shift ball. It feels "sticky". Once it cools down (usually about an hour) it's nice and easy to move and shift again.

When I put the shifter back in (replaced a borked BA10/5 with a good/working BA10/5) I did not grease the ball. Was I supposed to? And if not, what in the world is causing this?

Thanks!
Shawn

spshultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure that you have gear oil in it. Do you have any leaks? when was the last time you changed the gear oil?
Unread 08-31-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
spshultz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Some humility time here.... :-(

Unfortunately I don't have a pipe plug socket to take out the plug to check the oil.
But before I put the trans in, I looked down inside the hole and could see oil. Just couldn't see how high it was but it "seemed" high.
I added a little GL-5 (didn't know at the time that GL-5 isn't the best for these transmissions) and then put the trans into the jeep.

There are no leaks so that's either a good thing or a bad thing.

No clue on when the guy I bought the trans from changed the gear oil.

Hmmm.....well, I guess then it's time to check the oil.
I tried making a pipe plug socket out of a 3/8" extension but it ended up just twisting in half because the plug is in there so tight. And the extension I used wasn't of the highest quality either. Where do you get a proper socket for this type of plug?

I have two full bottles of Syncromesh sitting in the garage that I had purchased for another car's trans that I never got around to doing. If this trans uses yellow synchro's then using the Syncromesh should be fine?

And thanks for the reply. :-D
Unread 08-31-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This ain't gospel,but I think the plug is 7/16 square.
Since nowhere except France maybe is there such a thing as 7/16 drive,You'll have to get creative and make yourself a tool.
Somebody on the forum will probably chime in soon that is more knowledgeable than I on the BA10/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spshultz View Post
Some humility time here.... :-(

Unfortunately I don't have a pipe plug socket to take out the plug to check the oil.
But before I put the trans in, I looked down inside the hole and could see oil. Just couldn't see how high it was but it "seemed" high.
I added a little GL-5 (didn't know at the time that GL-5 isn't the best for these transmissions) and then put the trans into the jeep.

There are no leaks so that's either a good thing or a bad thing.

No clue on when the guy I bought the trans from changed the gear oil.

Hmmm.....well, I guess then it's time to check the oil.
I tried making a pipe plug socket out of a 3/8" extension but it ended up just twisting in half because the plug is in there so tight. And the extension I used wasn't of the highest quality either. Where do you get a proper socket for this type of plug?

I have two full bottles of Syncromesh sitting in the garage that I had purchased for another car's trans that I never got around to doing. If this trans uses yellow synchro's then using the Syncromesh should be fine?

And thanks for the reply. :-D
Unread 09-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
spshultz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I found a "Drain plug" set on Harborfreight. 12 sockets total - 2 standard sizes and 10 metric. Hopefully that will be what I need.
Unread 09-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You might have water in there.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Ant954

I found this old post. I also have an 87 YJ and have this exact same problem. Does anyone else have an idea on what causes this. The problem has been there before and after I had my tranny fluids flushed.

After about a half hour of driving my shifter stick will "gum up" on me. its most noticable when im moving the stick left and right in neutral. It doesnt have the smooth slide like when i first start driving it. This thread is the only place ive found the same problem as mine and just wondering if anyone knows any info on it.
Thanks
Ant954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Ant954

anyone? Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
Ant954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
camaro74

87 jeep shifts hard when hot

My 87 jeep shifts hard when it gets hot. any coment on the problem will be appreciated.
camaro74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
James0505
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Did anybody ever figure this out, I'm having the same problem. I got water in mine, so i changed the fluid but still hard to shift when hot.
James0505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

what kinda fluid did you put in it?

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
James0505
1988 YJ Wrangler 

75w-90 full synthetic gl5,that's what the book said to use. It definitely had gear oil in it before I changed it.
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yeah that was what the original book said.. they found that the fluid was too heavy for it.. it calls for 10w30 motor oil.. get the cheapest stuff you can find at walmart and run it for like a few hundred miles and then change it again.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
James0505
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I will give that a try. Any idea why it shifted fine before with gear oil in it?
Thx for the help
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
Northinger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not to steal the thread but i have a similar issue but when its cold, is this normal?
Northinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.