gear set questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > gear set questions

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 06-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
Nightcon777
1998 TJ Wrangler 

gear set questions

So after hearing some nasty clunks coming from the rear, I pulled to cover to take a look. I have never worked on gear before so this is all new to me. Once the cover was off I knew i had problems once I saw the metal pieces. Most of the teeth were pretty rounded off or broken. The ring and pinion looked fine and seemed to show no wear. Now what is the exact name of the small inner gears. Differential gear set? Spider gears? And how hard would it be to replace? I'm low on funds so I am trying to be on the cheaper side. Would I be better of with a junkyard part (350$) or just rebuild mine. Or should I take it to a shop and have them do it ( what is an average price) Thanks for any help

Nightcon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Can't give alot here but, yes they are spider gears. If your up to the task, as long as your R&P is good, replacing the spiders isnt that difficult.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Nightcon777
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ya the Ring and pinion both look great. I also forgot to mention this is on a Dana 35, wrangler is stock with 31's I wheel maybe once a month at most. Anyone have a good link to a write up on this?
Nightcon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

the top and bottom gears are the spider gears, the left and right gears that go over the splined axle shaft are your side gears.

a junkyard or salvage jeep supply will be the best bet for replacements.

very often, all 4 gears are called the spider gears, but i don't THINK that's technically correct. or maybe that's just the terminology around here... kinda like soa vs. pop i guess? i dunno...

not all dana 35 spider gears are the same either. the non c clip and the c clip gears are different... not sure where else the breaks were but i'm thinking it was 87-90, 91-93, 93-96 the 93's overlapping somewhere maybe? i forget.

be sure to keep track of the thrust washers when you remove the spider's and side gears.....
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.