Gear Ratio with V8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gear Ratio with V8

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Gear Ratio with V8

I will probably swap a V8 under the hood next summer (this summer I have too much to do on the other vehicle). I use my Jeep as a DD. Would 4.10 gears be low enough for a good ride or would I want to regear also? My poor 4 banger won't let me climb some hills on the highway faster than 50 mph (or sometimes less!).

Thanks.

--------
My new Jeep: 95 ZJ with 4.0L I6 (auto trans)
cubewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 04:34 AM   #2
Devilnutzusmc
2002 TJ Wrangler 

if you have a 4 banger then you are already geared 4:10 from the factory. you could regear to 4:56 but this is costly to do to both axles. The most cost effective upgrade would be going to 4.0 litre straight 6. or just do what I am doing with my 4 banger.....scrap it and drop a 5.2 hemi in!
Devilnutzusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Given that your concern is getting up hills on the freeway - While I don't have any experience w a V8 YJ, I would think the extra torque and hp would more than be enough w 4:10's/33's, especially if you use a torqey cam/intake/head setup. I know some guys that are running 410's w a 4.0L and 33's and they seem to do fine. I wouldn't go for a high reving - high hp type set up that might be used in a camaro or whatever. Look for your torque and hp in lower RPM ranges for wheelin.
clush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

We throw out gear number suggestions here alot but they are all based on the factory components and years of people doing it. With a custom engine/trans you will have to run some numbers.

What transmission are you going to run behind the engine?, the gear ratio you choose should be based on calculations including your final drive gear ratio in whatever transmission you go with and the tire diameter you are going to run. Without that any number thrown out there is a pure guess. My guess is your 4.10s are going to be too low for just a 33" tire with any reasonably strong v8. IE it will suck gas as a daily driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you are considering an engine and tranny swap, go to the Novak site and spend some time in the knowledge base. When you know what motor you want to go with research it's power band - most V8's like to run at much lower RPM than your 4 banger. Then, figure out the final drive ratio of your engine, tranny, tcase combo and what size tires you will likely run, use the calculator - Novak Conversions - Gearing & Gearing Math for Jeeps to decide what gears put you in the correct RPM range for the speeds that you will drive. This is not something to guess at. I had geared to 4.56 before my engine swap, so it was essential for me to use a tranny with a good overdrive so that my motor wasn't screaming at highway speeds.
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
stu1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
cottonmouth
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Running a 350 sbc/700r4/231c combo on 44/9" axles w 4.10's and 38.5 x 11 boggers. I have PLENTY of power on the road. Like to be a lil lower for offroad, but you'll be fine....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.