Gear Ratio Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gear Ratio Question

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
icemann0014
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Gear Ratio Question

I have a few stupid beginner questions about axles, gear ratios and such.
i have a 97 sport with a d35 in the rear and a 30 in the front with the ax15 transmission.

according to the stock tj spec page, the standard gear ratio for 6 cylinder models is 3.07.

stock gear ratio options available with the d35 are 3.07, 3.55, 3.73, 4.11, 4.56.

the ax15 tranny has 1st - 3.83 2nd - 2.33 3rd - 1.44 4th - 1.00 5th - 0.79 Rev - 4.22.

so basically my stuped question is what do all of these numbers mean?

why is the gear ratio 3.07 while no gear in the transmission is that ratio?

when you upgrade you gears, do you upgrade your front and rear axles, as well as your trans?

how can i find out what my gear ratio is to be positive? im like 99% sure i have a d35 because it has the rubber fluid hole

thank you so much for helping out and im sure ill think of more questions later

check out my build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slow-but-steady-tj-build-1492949/
icemann0014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemann0014 View Post
I have a few stupid beginner questions about axles, gear ratios and such.
i have a 97 sport with a d35 in the rear and a 30 in the front with the ax15 transmission.

according to the stock tj spec page, the standard gear ratio for 6 cylinder models is 3.07.

stock gear ratio options available with the d35 are 3.07, 3.55, 3.73, 4.11, 4.56.

the ax15 tranny has 1st - 3.83 2nd - 2.33 3rd - 1.44 4th - 1.00 5th - 0.79 Rev - 4.22.

so basically my stuped question is what do all of these numbers mean?

why is the gear ratio 3.07 while no gear in the transmission is that ratio?

when you upgrade you gears, do you upgrade your front and rear axles, as well as your trans?

how can i find out what my gear ratio is to be positive? im like 99% sure i have a d35 because it has the rubber fluid hole

thank you so much for helping out and im sure ill think of more questions later
You're in the wrong section, but the question still applies...

When people talk about 3.07, 3.55, etc... they're talking about the axle's gear ratio.

That is, the number of teeth on the pinion in relation to the number of teeth on the ring. This ends up being the 'final gear'. When people change gears, they change the gear ratio for the front and rear. They don't change the actual gears inside of the transmission. Both gear ratios in each axle have to be the same, or problems will arise. I assure you.

As for the numbers, there's two ways of checking... each engine / transmission has a set gear ratio. I.E. Inline-4 manuals all have 4.11 gear ratios, stock.

Another way is to physically check. Jack up a wheel on each axle, and spin it with a piece of yarn or thread taped in the middle. After two complete rotations, you will have your gear ratio when you count the turns on the yarn/thread.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the gear ratio's in the transmission have nothing to do with the gear ratios in the axles.

Ill try to explain. if you have 2 gears with 10 teeth each it would be 1:1 gear ratio and would have no advantage/disadvantages at all. the gears in the rear/front are 3.07/1 meaning the driveshaft/pinion will turn a little over 3 turns to make the ring turn once. Basically the same for the transmission. When changing gear ratios its seldom done by changing transmission gears and generally done at the rear axle. If you have more questions or want more clarification on things just ask..

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
StayClassy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Or a lazy way to find out your gear ratio is to request a build sheet from Jeep. Just give them your VIN.

But the yarn method would be more fun.
StayClassy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayClassy View Post
Or a lazy way to find out your gear ratio is to request a build sheet from Jeep. Just give them your VIN.

But the yarn method would be more fun.
If not less exciting!
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
Cherokid
1989 YJ Wrangler 

and if you want to see what the different gear ratios will do for your rpm (engine speed) at any given road speed go to grimmjeepers gear ratio page, fill in the fields with the info about your jeep and hit 'calculate'.

Good Wheelin to ya,

Cherokid
Cherokid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
icemann0014
1997 TJ Wrangler 

great thank you all so much. that really cleared all of that up for me. as soon as i get my baby back from the shop, i will know for sure

check out my build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slow-but-steady-tj-build-1492949/
icemann0014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.