Gear ratio help please! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gear ratio help please!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 09-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
frenziedYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Gear ratio help please!

im new to the jeep community (and automotive) im not sure what gear ratio i have now but im finding out tomorrow. i have a 4" suspension lift, 3" body, and raised shackles. all thats sitting on 35" all terrains. i use this as my DD its an inline 6, with a webber 36/36 DGEC carb, 5 speed manual. any suggestions on regearing? and what about lockers while im at it? would i need them? do they help that much?
Thanks, Devan

frenziedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
projectsahara11
1989 YJ Wrangler 

a nice gear for that size tire would be 4:88. It will help push those tires down and the road and will help off the road as well. Lockers are a very important thing to have. I would recommend the arb air lockers because with some of the other types of lockers you can't choose when and where you need the extra help from the locker. Being able to disengage your locker will not only save you money but it will help you make sharper turns on the trail.
projectsahara11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
frenziedYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

do you know were to purchase a gear set like that for a good price?
frenziedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
mmbtv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm using 4.88's with the same tire size and I would not gear any higher.
I believe 4.88 is as low you can go with a d30.
If you are using the stock axels, I would use an Aussie type locker.
mmbtv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.56 , gear ratio , help needed , jeep yj , locker install

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.