Gear Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gear Question

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-27-2002, 12:01 AM   #1
lXl Rebel Wrangler lXl

Gear Question

ok now i have searched alot and i think my question is a lil diffrent from everyone elses questions and responses. well i have a 90 wrangler 4.2 5spd. obvioulsy its not as quick as the 4.0 but when im in 3rd gear the damn jeep like ****s out on me and first is kinda ****ty 2. but im sure that normal, im only running 30 inch tires. now is there a set of gears that i can get to maybe get quicker response? b/c im gettin exhaust ystem and headers soon also

thanx alot

jay

Unread 06-27-2002, 03:36 AM   #2
cj7traildriver

Yeah can change gears, will lose top end but doubt yah care lol. Changeing gears isn't cheap have to do both front and rear. As to what size is up to you and what RPM you want to be at there are gear charts all over the net. If staying with 30's 4.10 may be what your after I dont know what you have cause 3.73 could be ideal also.
Unread 06-27-2002, 05:31 AM   #3
Bob K

Is your engine running okay? I'm running 31 inch tires with 3.07 gears and I have no complaints about second or third gears. Only fifth gear feels a little sluggish on long hills on the highway.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.