Gauges have a mind of their own - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gauges have a mind of their own

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
R3V413
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Gauges have a mind of their own

All of my gauges have a mind of their own except for my speedo, tach, and clock. All of the other gauges are maxed out except for my fuel gauge that floats back and forth. Any one know what could be the cause? Do they all share a common ground that is bad? Or do they just need to be replaced? Any Ideas?

R3V413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

thats just what they do, coupled with the lights working whenever they want to (fixed that one this week)

edit: obviously there is a solution to this, hopefully someone can shed some helpful light on the subject
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:53 AM   #3
R3V413
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankinyj View Post
thats just what they do, coupled with the lights working whenever they want to (fixed that one this week)

edit: obviously there is a solution to this, hopefully someone can shed some helpful light on the subject
lol hopefully, cuz it bugs the hell out of me and it just needs to be fixed
R3V413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think the ground is common. There was a write up about how to fix this a while back - it might be in the "stickies" at the top of the page.

Anyhow, what I did to mine is, take out the gage cluster. They all come in one unit from the dash. Be careful cuz they bolt onto a printed circuit board. Just unscrew the cluster from the dash, slide it out carefully, and unplug the connector from the cluster.

Once you have it out, you can see on the back where the gages screw into the printed circuit board. Unscrew them.

You need to clean all the electrical contacts on the board, on the gages, and inside the connector. Every place where a gage screws into the circuit board is an electrical contact. Get them nice and shiny - I used 400-grit wet-dry sandpaper.

Put it all back together. I did this and never a problem since. Even the dash lights are brighter!

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 08-08-2011 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: clarity
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
EdgyAsHell
1990 YJ Wrangler 

oldtime_ironman we are a dynamic duo on these posts lately I seen! Here is the link for that writeup w/ pics mentioned above... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...er-how-991307/. Here is a link to a 93' YJ manual that has all the diagnostic info you would probably need. http://www.scribd.com/doc/13985775/M...cina-YjXj-1993. Pages 14-22 are what you are looking for I believe.

The sanding helped me bring back every gauge but the fuel. The ground for my fuel gauge was so corroded it was not funny. It's also located in that spot in the middle of your back that you could never touch unless you dislocate a shoulder. I could have saved myself alot of time by un-doing the clip behind the driver side rear tire, splice into ground, and reground it to some bolt. That was really all that was necassary for me in the end... but F*&K it, I go for the gusto and removed the whole ****ing tank to cut a door!
EdgyAsHell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyAsHell View Post
oldtime_ironman we are a dynamic duo on these posts lately I seen! Here is the link for that writeup w/ pics mentioned above... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...er-how-991307/. Here is a link to a 93' YJ manual that has all the diagnostic info you would probably need. http://www.scribd.com/doc/13985775/M...cina-YjXj-1993. Pages 14-22 are what you are looking for I believe.

The sanding helped me bring back every gauge but the fuel. The ground for my fuel gauge was so corroded it was not funny. It's also located in that spot in the middle of your back that you could never touch unless you dislocate a shoulder. I could have saved myself alot of time by un-doing the clip behind the driver side rear tire, splice into ground, and reground it to some bolt. That was really all that was necassary for me in the end... but F*&K it, I go for the gusto and removed the whole ****ing tank to cut a door!
LOL yeah I'm just trying to make sure my jeep is perfect before winter. I had to do my ground wire where it comes out of the tank itself.

RV, those are the links that Edgy gave ya. The guy walks you through it step-by step with pics. Be sure to check that out.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.