Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Gauge wiring issues

304 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bharris68 
#1 ·
I have an 88 with a Howell conversion, when i tap my gauges my fuel pump kicks on, temp gauge doesn't work, gas gauge works erratically, amp guage only reads 4, and im not getting full voltage to my injectors so it wont start without pouring gas down throttle body but runs fine and. once its running my amp gauge goes to normal. It has a new ignition switch, ignition module, pickup coil, coil,starter relay, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, throttle positioning sensor,and fuel pump. O and horn dont work. Ive taken apart wiring harness under the hood and replaced all connect. Howell conversation seems to be installed right according to the instructions I downloaded so im now convinced my problem is under my dash. Any ideas would be great

#2 ·
If you tap the gauges and the fuel pump kicks on what are you doing under the hood? It sounds like your switched ignition feed from the steering column is messed up. Do you have a meter and do you know how to use it?

#3 ·
Welcome to the Forums! You're in the right place for help, and what you're describing sounds like you will need it. Que will be able to provide the most assistance for sure. If you want to remove the dash and see the gauges, here is a thread to help with that. I would be really shocked if, for some odd reason, there is a wire attached to the fuel gauge behind the dash.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/repair-w-pix-stock-gauge-cluster-how-991307/ - either way - get the answer to Que and if you would pop your gauges off you can shoot a picture of what's going on back there - hopefully nothing - and this will help troubleshoot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.