Gauge Cluster, no power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gauge Cluster, no power

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Gauge Cluster, no power

First, anyone got a good diagram of the 87-91 gauge cluster wiring?I have a Haynes manual and it is 0 help.

I had my dash apart and after I put back my gauge cluster I now have no power to any of the gauges. Took it back out and the circuit board on the back is fried from pin #5 and #2 to the gas gauge (+ marked terminal) and there is no power at all coming to pin #5 (white with black tracer positive feed to the gauges).

Here's the pins and wires to the gauge cluster

sorry it's a bit blurry but the pins are numbered left to right

I've looked at all my fuses and can't find one that is blown, but nothing in the fuse block is marked as 'gauges'. My acc. fuse is fine, and when I turn the lights on the bulbs work, as well as the feed to the center clock. That tells me I have ground, and the other feeds to the circuit board are working.

Here's the circuit board damage

When I turn the ignition on though, nothing at all to the gauges themselves. Prior to this happening my fuel gauge was not working (just like nearly everyone else's of this year) but everything else functioned properly. I need to trace out where the feed comes from for the gauges, as I don't want to buy a new circuit board or new gauge cluster to find out it won't work either, or worse yet to fry a new one. HELP please!!

Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Check the IOD fuse in the PDC.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, but my 88 yj has no IOD fuse in the power distribution center. I've pulled my fuses and can't find any that appear to be blown, still got no power to any of the gauges or to the tachometer. HELP. Anyone!
Unread 10-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
CustomControls
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I agree its a fuse under the hood. F3 Maybe

Orange and black pin #1 should come on with your lights and the 2 wht with blacks should have power with key on. Are you testing fuses with a meter or a test light?
CustomControls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Custom Controls, I have no fuses under the hood. My 88 has the fuses under the dash on the driver's side. I tested the two black and whites with a meter, and the orange and black wire on #1 with a meter, plus the lights all come on with the light switch. I haven't metered the fuses, just visibly checked to see they are not blown.
Unread 10-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here is about the best shot I can get of my fuses. On the very top are my emergency and turn signal flashers (round items). From top to bottom, starting on the left
15A turn/backup
20A Accessory
5A AC/PS

in the center
20A Dome
20A Park/Tail
unmarked Circuit Breaker

on the right side
15A Haz. Stop
15A Ign LPS
25A Heater

there is some sort of black box on the bottom with numbers, that's all

Unread 10-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
LaddieHanus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

According to my 89 Factory Service Manual the pink wire pin 7 goes to a splice that is fed power by the Dome Fuse light . The same fuse controls the Courtesy lamps, dome light and radio. For my 89 this fuse is position 5. Pin 2 on the cluster is fed by the ignition switch going through the ign lps fuse which is Fuse 9 in the fuse box it shows as a white/black wire.
LaddieHanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
CustomControls
1992 YJ Wrangler 

maybe try a new fuse anyhow? i would start with that little 5 amp fuse. swap it out with a new one. same with the rest of them. its got to be a fuse. anything else not working? if you can get your hands on a test light, checking fuses and such will be easier. Ive seen fuses blow and look ok. but being you have damage i would think the fuse would look fried. either or i would be certain its not a fuse.. before you move on.
CustomControls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bingo!!!! Thanks a million LaddieHanus. I went back and pulled the fuse marked IGN LPS and when I tested it got no continuity. Looking at the fuse it looks brand new. I've replaced the fuse and now I have power to the gauge cluster on pin 2, which in mine is jumpered to pin 5. I have a working temp gauge (left side from pin 2) but because of the burned circuit board the two right side gauges, temp and alternator, aren't working. I'm guessing something in the fuel gauge went to dead short and blew the fuse, but not before burning thru the printed circuit board on the gauge cluster. Since the circuit board is fried, I have no power downstream from the fuel gauge. Anyone got any other explanation?

By the way, when I jump across the fuel gauge feed wires (tan and black on pins 3 and 4) I get 56 ohms which is what I would expect for between 2/3 and 1/2 a tank of gas I have in the vehicle. If I get a new gauge cluster things should work ok, assuming the fuel gauge was the problem all along. I sure would like some confirmation on that theory!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.