Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

gauge cluster

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  '99xjlimited 
#1 ·
On my '95 YJ, my Gauge Cluster keeps blowing a fuse, like 1 a day. :brickwall I'm getting sick and tired of replacing this damn fuse. any ideas on what might be causing this?

#2 ·
Disco the batt, and remove the cluster and check the stamped circuit board. You have a short somewhere.

#4 ·
[QUOTE='99xjlimited]I'll give that a shot, thanks[/QUOTE]

Just to note, the reason you disco the batt, is you take a chance at touching that stamped board to the bare metal while removing it. TRUST ME, it is a light show.

-Rusty :tea:

#7 ·
[QUOTE='99xjlimited]I was wondering about that, thanks. I'll take a look at it this weekend. If that is it, what can I do to fix it?[/QUOTE]

Some have soldered where the circuit board is bad, most disable the gauge that is getting the short. If it's the whole thing, your looking at replacing the entire gauge cluster. That is gonna be fun unless you can find one used. The dealership wants over $70 just for the stamped circuit.

If your looking at a whole replacement, look into autometer gauges.

BUT, check the small stuff first, sorry for the tangent.

#9 ·
It could be a few things. Are you blowing fuse 9? If so Buzzer, gauges, warning lights, relays and backup lights are on that circuit. When you pull the cluster and don't see anything obvious you can add a few inline fuses on those items listed above - light blue wire. When something shorts to ground the blown fuse in line should point you in the correct direction for the problem.

Let me ask, are the guages going out or just the lights for them? If just the lights check the illumination wire for the radio.

#10 ·
rustywrangler said:
Just to note, the reason you disco the batt, is you take a chance at touching that stamped board to the bare metal while removing it. TRUST ME, it is a light show.

-Rusty :tea:
Ahh the ol' adage: Experience is something you do not get until JUST after the moment you needed it!! :cheers2:

#13 ·
[QUOTE='99xjlimited]mp3, the gauges are going out... all of them. I have lights on the gauges but no reading

Yes, it is Fuse #9, Blue, 15[/QUOTE]

Following on what Mp3 said, check the bulbs for your backup lights and also see if any of your other tail lights are out.

Your next step would be to check each of those circuits that mp3 stated. I have never had this problem exactly so I cannot say what else to check.

#15 ·
Even with the fuse fixed??? Check the backup bulbs and check for rust inside the tail light housings. If the backup lights are good and ground is good, the next step is to start tracing what else is on that circuit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.