gauge cluster?!?!?!?!?!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > gauge cluster?!?!?!?!?!?!

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
tcaz10

gauge cluster?!?!?!?!?!?!

ok neither my oil pressure gauge or voltage gauge work, and my gas gauge is being a royal pain in the a**, so ive been looking around and found the nice autometer gauge embezel in on the website, now i kno ill be spending like 2 or 3 hundred on the gauges themselves alone. but does anyone have this set up or has seen this setup in a a yj.??????

any help or pics would be apreciated...

todd

Unread 01-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
ovrlnd

switch to mechanical temp & oil, way more reliable, run electric gas and volt.
guage swaps are very reliable. I removed the yj plastic center guage cover and made
a flat center out of some steel I had laying around very easy and gives tons of room
there. I just did the same thing for my dad's chevy 4.3 swap.

88 YJ, 350/350 Chevy, Twin Stick Dana 300 with JB 32 spline rear output, 6.5" lift, Front Scout II Dana 44 w/Yukon 4340 shafts, trac loc, 4.27's, Warn Premium Hubs, flipped YJ Tie Rod, Ford F150 front calipers, Rear Scout II Dana 44 w/Alloy 4340 shafts, HD RPT retainer plates, 4.27's True trac, Steeltech Disc brakes, Cage upgrade, B&M Prostick Shifter, Custom Fabbed tire, gas, jack carrier, 3/8 angle rear bumper, clevis's all around, old & reliable rep8000 winch. Flood lights. loud stereo. 35x12.50 swampers and a bunch of other stuff
ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

i used to be hardcore mechanical gauge guy but after toying with electric gauges in the last 3 drag cars i've done gauges in, and now my jeep... i will never go back to mechanical. electrical is so much easier to setup, so much more user friendly if/when problems so arise with gauge functions, etc...

here's my setup... waiting for my oil pressure and oil temp to arrive... then i get to rearrange everything again as i keep changing how i want things laid out.

bought this.... i believe the seller is on this forum but i'm not positive...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...spagenameZWDVW

i had to cut the bracket because it interfered with my switches... i cut it off about 3/4" below the bottom of the gauge holes....

and until my other gauges come in and i rearrange their layout, this is how it stands....

i opted for the sport comp series of gauges from autometer after deciding that the phantom gauges would stick out like a sore thumb. stewart warner gauges were my initial plan but i got a good deal on these three gauges on eBay that i couldn't pass up.
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
ovrlnd

I am sure technology has changed some, however this was 10 years ago when I put my 350 in the electrical guages were a giant pain and seemed to cause more problems for me than it was worth. went to mechanical and has been that way ever since without issue.

88 YJ, 350/350 Chevy, Twin Stick Dana 300 with JB 32 spline rear output, 6.5" lift, Front Scout II Dana 44 w/Yukon 4340 shafts, trac loc, 4.27's, Warn Premium Hubs, flipped YJ Tie Rod, Ford F150 front calipers, Rear Scout II Dana 44 w/Alloy 4340 shafts, HD RPT retainer plates, 4.27's True trac, Steeltech Disc brakes, Cage upgrade, B&M Prostick Shifter, Custom Fabbed tire, gas, jack carrier, 3/8 angle rear bumper, clevis's all around, old & reliable rep8000 winch. Flood lights. loud stereo. 35x12.50 swampers and a bunch of other stuff
ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2007, 06:59 AM   #5
95yjnc

I recently installed the gauge set up from Autometer (GaugeWorks) that is available thru Quadratec. I replaced all the gauges with Autometer Phantoms and added the clock in the center position. I rewired the 4X4 light and moved it to another location in the dash.

The conversion was pretty straight forward. My primary concern was that I did not want to cut the factory wiring harness plug or alter the factory set up. I made a wiring harness that adapted to the existing harness so I could easily remove the the gauge package and still go back to the factory harness / gauge set up if I wanted to.

You will need to change both the water temp and oil PSI sending units with the ones supplied by Autometer for the gauges to operate properly. You will also need a good wiring diagram to trace all the wires for the gauge and lighting circuits.

I was very happy with the conversion. They look great and function much better than the stock units. My next project is to change the tach and speedometer to Autometer Phantoms to complete the package.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can walk you through my installation. I will try to get some pictures posted.
95yjnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2007, 07:28 AM   #6
wolf3902

I have an extra set of gages. I had to replace my speedo and tach and they gave me the other set from the boneyard for a total of $50.
If you'd like to replace with same thing then let me know.
You pay shipping and it's yours.

ONE NATION, UNDER G O D
Support It, or Leave It!
wolf3902 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

if i remember right the wires for...

oil pressure: light blue
water temp: purple
fuel level: brownish tan
clock: pink

i forget the others off hand but it's easy to see what goes to what if you just follow the traces on the old gauge cluster to see what gauge everything goes to
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

Unread 01-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
JJ-4

1987 YJ Wrangler 

ive got the setup your talking about with electric gauges it works and looks great ill try and get some pics posted
JJ-4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #9
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did the same thing as 95yjnc. Here are two threads where I cover what I did.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/need-help-aftermarket-guages-348903/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/ins-cluster-wire-info-346704/
jeep63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2007, 07:15 PM   #10
tcaz10

hmmmmm so im pretty sure im just gunna swap everything with an autometer setup like the one Big n Broke yj uses......does anyone have any preference to wich gauge to use? i kno theres phantom, platinum and all sorts of them
Unread 01-31-2007, 06:39 AM   #11
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

pro-comp looks most like stock...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.