Gasket Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gasket Question

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-05-2002, 11:57 PM   #1
Johnny'sJeepen

Gasket Question

I have an 89 YJ 258 and Iíve been getting oil leakage around my value cover. Does anybody know for that model if there is a gasket I can get? Or do I need to buy the whole kit with the gasket included> I called the dealer and they quoted me $125 for a new one without Labor. Then I called a jeep place in AZ and they told me $55 without shipping, which will probably be round 40 to 50 bucks. Is this a job that can be installed easily? Any advice is appreciated. Happy Jeepen
J

Johnny'sJeepen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2002, 08:45 AM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

u can use gasket maker but I tried it and it did not work to well for me.I went to advanced auto and told them i needed a cork type gasket for the 258 jeep motor and they had one in stock.So check your local shops first autozone, advance,and napa.But if they dont try www.jeepdoc.com or go to key word krage motorsports same web site and you can order online or call i know they have them.Even with the gasket it may leak a little but the only other solution is the metal replacement.Mine leaks a little but dont bother me.Hope this helps
Unread 02-06-2002, 04:37 PM   #3
4wheel4fun

My 87' came with the plastic valve cover, and always leaked. I replaced it with an aluminum cover from WestSide Preformance. They recommend using RTV vs a gasket. Once I installed my new cover, using RTV, I have for onced sloved my leaking problem. The valve cover is a little costly ($170), however, it's good quality and looks nice. I would go this route before spending $100 bucks on a new gasket.
PS. This valve cover is a simple bolt on. No drilling required, like some after market covers require.
4wheel4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2002, 10:05 PM   #4
93YJSahara

try this, says the valve cover gasket is included, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...035305&r=0&t=0
93YJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2002, 11:07 PM   #5
CR Perry

Before you spend any money how much is it leaking? My old 258 leaked but it just looked bad and was really no big deal. Adding a quart of oil between oil changes isn't very expensive and it does keep the oil fresher.
Unread 02-07-2002, 05:52 AM   #6
highway jeeper

I just bought a whole head gasket set from Advanced Auto for around $40.00 for my 87 , 258 and the cover gasket was cork which I had not used.

I replaced the lifters, so I had to remove the valve cover and replace it with the new gasket as part of the process.

Now i have no leaks, but I do keep checking the tightness on the bolts. I do not think you need to spend the kind of money you are talking about.
highway jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2002, 08:23 AM   #7
mike's90YJ

hey they sell complete gaskets sets depending on the job, thru Quadratec and a pretty fair price, most kits include everything need from the Head up to the carb, and no i'm not trying to sell ya their stuff, just thought it may help
2000 TJ Buckets
95YJ RollBar/ 95 YJ Hard Top
KC Daylighters
31/10.50 Goodyears,
Outlaw II 15x8's
mike's90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2002, 10:07 PM   #8
Johnny'sJeepen

Jeepers thanks for the advice. im not sure which route im going to take, but I'll keep you posted. Thanks again. Happy Off Roading
J
Johnny'sJeepen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.