Gas welder tip question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gas welder tip question

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Gas welder tip question

I also posted ths in the fab section. But I really need an answer tonight and I know a lot of you guys weld.

I was borrowing a $3000 Lincoln welder and had to change a tip out (just the copper part with the small hole that the wire feeds through). It sheered off when I was screwing it in and the bottom half is stuck in there still.

I tried to drill a small hole and use an easy out to get the tip out, but the drill bit broke off in there too. I don't know much about how these go together or how the gas flows. Can I remove the whole front part of the nozzle and replace it easilly?

I'm talking about the part that the tip scwers into, and the outter cover goes on to cover up the sides of the tip. Sorry I'm not trained in welding and I don't know the names of these parts. Buu I need to get it fixed first thing tomorrow morning.

What should I do?

I can screw the whole thing off easilly, but how does it connect to the lines for the gas and wire?

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Missouribound
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wow....have you used a welder before? Those tips generally go in with just your fingers, and then a small twist with a pair of pliers to secure it. How in the hell did you break a bit in copper? Drilling a hole and an easy out would have been what I would done. Call a welding supply shop and see if they can help.
Missouribound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

To make a long story short... my brother is a dumb *** and the bit was a crappy one from harbor Freight.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wrong one for the machine. But you might have to replace the head of the welder to fix or take it in to a welding supply shop. to get it fixed.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The head is a separate piece...which should be stocked at any welding supply shop worth a damn. Probably going to cost you some money...

You can probably take it off yourself and see if you can get the broken bit out before you go that route though.

FYI...the tips sold at harbor freight don't fit a Lincoln. I believe they are interchangeable with miller and Hobart though.
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty simple...
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yeah the Miller gun comes apart with just one screw in the handle as I recall. only opened mine once and I forget now why I even did that. As stated, you don't need to slam those tips in there. just finger tight with a 1/4 turn extra will do just fine.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.