Gas tank skid plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gas tank skid plate

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-13-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Gas tank skid plate

Quick question-does the skid plate under the gas tank on a 89 Wrangler help secure it in place, or is it just for protection? Thanks

Lee3333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
krd
1988 YJ Wrangler 

secures and protects
258 str.6 w/1" mml, nuttered, 32/36 weber carb, hei, TF-999 w/hurst floor shift, np231 w/aa slip yoke eliminator, jks quick discos, 3-1/2" fabtech, 1" bl, MORE 5/8" boomerangs front and rear, dana 44's front and rear 4.56 locked, herculined tub and family style roll bar, jks u-bolt plates, xenon flat fenders, rrc pre-runner, custom built rear bumper, Gen-right rock sliders and hood louvers, 35" mtz micky t's, bullet proof high steer, bestop soft top w/tinted windows.

1988 yj
2007 gmc 2500 crew cab
2009 volvo xc70 turbo
1988 porsche 911
krd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So I am guessing that I cant just remove it and find straps under it.

I need to get at some bolts covered by it to change my rear bumper, and I dont want any surprises crashing down on me. Plus, since I wont be off-roading, I dont really need the protection of the plate. But I also would not like to have the gas tank fall out while driving!
Unread 06-13-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
krd
1988 YJ Wrangler 

the fuel tank is actually strapped to the skid plate and the skid plate is bolted to the frame
258 str.6 w/1" mml, nuttered, 32/36 weber carb, hei, TF-999 w/hurst floor shift, np231 w/aa slip yoke eliminator, jks quick discos, 3-1/2" fabtech, 1" bl, MORE 5/8" boomerangs front and rear, dana 44's front and rear 4.56 locked, herculined tub and family style roll bar, jks u-bolt plates, xenon flat fenders, rrc pre-runner, custom built rear bumper, Gen-right rock sliders and hood louvers, 35" mtz micky t's, bullet proof high steer, bestop soft top w/tinted windows.

1988 yj
2007 gmc 2500 crew cab
2009 volvo xc70 turbo
1988 porsche 911
krd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
Lee3333
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Time to scrape some knuckles, then.

Thanks for the responses. Forums are great!!!
Unread 06-13-2008, 07:14 AM   #6
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you CAN get to those bolts back there without dropping the tank. either with swivel sockets and a bunch of extensions, or with a wrench. just need someone with small hands and it can be done.
Unread 06-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
the_barbarian
1987 YJ Wrangler 

my hands arent exactly small and i managed to remove those funky loop bumpers.. it required some finger acrobatics though..
Proud owner of 5 jeeps, and certified JEEP Junkie. newest acquisition and current project (read money-pit); 1987 Wrangler Laredo, hard top, leather seats, custom Woodland Camo, 4.2 I6, 5 SP stick, 4X4 (of course).
the_barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It's still a good idea to keep the skid plate. Backing over a curb, hitting road debris, zombie attack - any of these can rupture a gas tank if not protected, especially if you have a poly tank like I do.
And those zombies sure do know how to muck up a tank I tell ya!
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.