Gas tank question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gas tank question

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.comAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 03-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #16
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok here is the scoop on the "15" gallon tank. The 15 and the 20 gallon plastic tanks are exactly the same tanks. The difference is that there is a hose that takes up the difference in gallons. There is a writeup on how to switch from a 15 to 20 gallon tank without changing anything but this hose.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1...86/index2.html

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #17
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Actually now that I have it in my hands what I got was the fuel injected one without the pump. It also doesnt come with a gasket.. how nice. On top of that the electrical plugs are different so I'll have to clip the original plug off the old one and splice it into the new one.

lineman339 had it right... The tank size diff Mark05059 talks about is when the fuel enjection first started like 90 to 94.
wanabejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
YJMonster
1988 YJ Wrangler 

so after 1990 the size is the same there is just a hose that limits the volume of gas that you can fill it with. But the older ones do have a different size for the 15 gal and 20 gal right?
Unread 03-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #19
YJMonster
1988 YJ Wrangler 

there is one on the same page that specifies its for the 4.2 the one you got maby for the 2.5 im not sure
Unread 03-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #20
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

no I talked with the qtec guy. the other one listed is discontinued... There are 2 tanks round is 15 square is 20. Since the old sender is discontinued you have to modify slightly the one I linked. Dont forget to order the gasket too.
Unread 03-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #21
YJMonster
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So pretty much the only thing that has to be done is to splice some wires and it works like normal or what.
Unread 03-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #22
YJMonster
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Was it easy modifiaction, and im trying to clarify that the 20gal gas tank on the 87-90 is exactly the same as the 15 and 20 of the later fuel injected models except for the fuel pump/sender and the tube in the brather.
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:06 AM   #23
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I tested the sender and the resistance in the units are the same. All you have to do is solder the wires together. There are three on the new one ignore the orange wire its for the fuel pump which you dont have. Just the brown and black need to be soldered. Cut the old plug off and leave about 6 inches of wire on the plug. Cut the new plug off close to the plug this should leave you with a little extra wire. Strip the insulation off the wires and solder the old plug onto the new harness. Wrap with electrical tape.
Unread 03-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #24
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

As I undersand it as the gas tanks go... From 87 thru 90 there are 2 one is 20 with a square sender and one is 15 with a round sender. In 91 they went to just the 20 gal tank with the square sender and used the longer vent tube to make it a 15 gal. Those were all fule injected so the sender also had a fuel pump attached.

The sender I sent the link to is the 91 and newer sender but they leave the fuel pump off. Since its a newer type sender it also has a diff connector on it that you have to cut off and splice on the old connector from the original.
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #25
linemen339
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabejeeper View Post
guess what just showed up at my door? Re-reading your post... you have a square opening tank. Yes it is a stock 20 gallon tank. it needs the sender that I linked up in an earlier post.
This is the same pickup I used. I just added to the pickup side of the pump. The return side is OK the way it is. I used a fuel line and clamped it to the pickup. Made sure it was long enough to reach the bottom and zip tied it to the bracket. Been working fine..... As for the wires I don't use my gauges. "All autometer"
linemen339 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #26
YJMonster
1988 YJ Wrangler 

on the return line did you guys remove the black cap or leave on.

and is this the one in the carb 20 gal tanks?
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #27
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I left it on.. its got a small screen on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.