Gas Tank Modification Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gas Tank Modification Question

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-22-2004, 06:21 PM   #1
Six Shooter

Gas Tank Modification Question

I'm in the middle of doing the vent tube modification so I can get more gas in the tank. The instructions I'm following where posted by a Jeff Yokomura. What I need to confirm is if I need to remove the vent tube hose entirely? I have the vent tube hose free from the filler neck and do not see a vent tube. The hose clamp at the other end is going to be a bear to get to if it does need to be loosened and removed. Just a confirmation needed before proceeding.

Six Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2004, 06:53 PM   #2
WCoon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, you need to remove the vent hose from the gas tank.
WCoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2004, 07:44 PM   #3
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

what year is your jeep?
it is a real ***** to get at that vent tube... but it is worth the extra capacity.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 04:14 AM   #4
prossett

Location: The oasis city of Al Ain, where the red sand dunes of the UAE meet the craggy mountains of Oman
Yes, you need to remove the vent tube to find the plastic tube that's inside the tank. The vent tube goes on the outside of the tank nozzle, and the plastic tube is on the inside of the same nozzle.

BTW, don't mean to discourage you, but I did the whole thing, finally managed to pull out that inner plastic tube with long-nose pliars, bit by bit, slowly slowly, when it just popped out after two inches! It was only two inches long!!!

Now, the cut was factory-made, perfect, so I doubt the previous owners did the modification - I think that my truck, a 93 Renegade for export, was just given a 15 gallon tank. The back lights have 1989 stamped into them.

Or maybe someone has another take on this?
prossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 06:27 AM   #5
Six Shooter

Thanks for the responses. It only made sense that the tube needed to come out entirely, but the instructions where not very clear on this. The Jeep is a 95, which according to same instructions, qualifies for this modification. Getting to the tank end of that vent tube is going to be a real challenge. I have fairly long fingers so perhaps that will be a plus. Ironically, I've been contemplating purchase of a motorcycle, and fuel capacity on a bike has become an issue for me because of owning this Jeep. I hate having to stop so often. I found one I like, but the owner says 150 - 160 miles and you better be near a refeuling spot. Thanks again for the confirmations.
Six Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 07:43 AM   #6
southerndawg

Good luck with getting to that clamp. I got so fed up with trying to get to it, I ended up drilling a hole through the floorboard up above it. That saved me. If you or anyone does go this route, just be very careful. As you know, it is a gas tank.

After removing the hose clamp on the vent hose, I was able to pull the vent tube out but it took some pulling. Some recommend to cut it down to size, I chose to leave it out.

While I was down there I changed the fuel filter too.

I went from 200 miles per 15 gallon tank....to 340 miles per 20 gallon tank. I shoulda changed that filter a long time ago!

95 YJ 4 banger 5 speed
southerndawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 09:55 AM   #7
Moxley

Six Shooter,

Here's a thread I started on this subject:

Doug
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-15-20-gallon-tank-modification-60532/
[color=darkred][b]My Jeep:[/b][/color]
[url]http://members.myactv.net/~douglas.moxley/jeep.jpg[/url]

"A high IQ is like a Jeep; you will still get stuck, just farther from help"
Moxley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.