gas tank issues yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > gas tank issues yj

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
JUNKYARDDOG01
1994 YJ Wrangler 

gas tank issues yj

Hello all,

Wanted to pick your brain on my 1994 wrangler...

someone drilled a hole in my tank, to steal the fuel. my question is what other jeep if any can i take the tank from at the junkyard??

JUNKYARDDOG01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Unless you find another YJ, I'd buy a new one. Well I'd actually consider a fuel cell first but that's me.

Of course, you can get creative and fabricate something to work with your YJ if you find something similar at a junk yard.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Unless the hole is huge you might try putting in a bolt and nut with rubber washers.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Unless the hole is huge you might try putting in a bolt and nut with rubber washers.
Good point. I don't see thieves using a large drill bit to steal gas. Sucks they stole the gas and messed up the tank.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is that what this world is coming to? Causing a few hundred bucks worth of damage (cost of a new plastic tank) for under $60 of gas? Come on.
Unread 12-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuznick242 View Post
Is that what this world is coming to? Causing a few hundred bucks worth of damage (cost of a new plastic tank) for under $60 of gas? Come on.
Where have you been? Thieves have been doing thousands in damage to wires and a/c systems all over the country to grab $20 in scrap copper.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Where have you been? Thieves have been doing thousands in damage to wires and a/c systems all over the country to grab $20 in scrap copper.

No crap. Can you believe it. I had a renter and when he left not only did he trash the house, but also gutted the AC unit, and pulled all copper tubing for the gas lines. What a POS, and the courts let him off with a slap on the wrist.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
JUNKYARDDOG01
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yea this is really annoying and trying to do this on a budget is not easy. no luck so far on the replacemet tank...dealer wants 700.00.

im thinking about going with the bolt idea...i still would have to drop the tank correct...what type of rubber washer should i use that wont get deteriorated by the gasoline?
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
JUNKYARDDOG01
1994 YJ Wrangler 

.....also is dropping the tank hard to do in my driveway or do i need special tools??
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

leave the dealer alone on jeeps... try autozone.. I got the tank and straps there for under 150 dollars..

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
JUNKYARDDOG01
1994 YJ Wrangler 

wow!!! i will check it out thanks...any tips on the removal and replace??
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yes you can do it. 4 or 5 bolts on the back and 3 or 4 bolts in the front. remove the hoses fill and lines .
Where did the drill??
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
JUNKYARDDOG01
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ok i finally dropped the tank in my driveway..not too bad but i did struggle a bit. found out its plastic, i cant spot weld it or plug the hole...now the hunt is on for a used tank and straps, i snapped off the bolt and nut. i'm thinking i should replace the fuel pump while the tank is down....is that hard to replace?? the filter or strainer at the bottom looked dirty.... where's the fuel filter on these yj's??
Unread 12-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #14
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

plastic welder works well on poly if you know someone with one , sometimes they are on sale at harbor frieght

http://www.harborfreight.com/plastic...ure-96464.html
panaceabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...cement-903082/

As far as the tank repair goes, there isn't any real good way to repair the poly tanks. There are more then enough threads here where people have tried everything and only been able to get a short time out of a repair. Aparently the poly material doesn't bond and makes it impossible to truely repair. Try car-parts.com, searchtempest.com (craigslist super search engine), and google Jeep used parts. there are a bunch of great Jeep scrap yards around central Florida. Also, try to PM Mean Max here on the forum. He owns a repair shop down by you and is a one stop shop for any knowledge of Jeeps and repair.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.