Gas tank or fuel pump? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gas tank or fuel pump?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Gas tank or fuel pump?

Im fully aware of the old saying "If it aint broken don't fix it". well now I have a problem..

About a month ago I had a factory replacement mopar fuel pump and sending unit installed in my 1994 YJ. The shop showed me the old corroded one and the old gaskets (witch they also replaced).

One month later and less than 150 miles (I was out of town for most of that month) My jeep wont start. I drive home Friday fine and Saturday morning nothing.

I do all the troubleshooting to conclude its the fuel pump. I then have it towed to the shop where they say the pump is under warranty but its not likely that a brand new pump like that would break so fast.

They tell me that because my jeep is so old I might have to have my gas tank flushed and restored or something like that. Witch would involve dumping my almost full gas tank, sending it to another shop where they would clean it for metal shavings and also coat it in some chemical.

My old pump worked fine, I feel like if I never replaced it, it would of kept working even in my old gas tank. Should I chance putting another new fuelpump in or should I spiend the extra money and get my tank restored?

Thanks JF!

Unread 02-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds to me like the shop should fix it on their dollar. It was working before, they touched it, now its broke. I wouldn't drop a penny to fix a problem you didn't create.

11' F250 - DD

1982 Toyota Pick-Up - Spray-On Yellow Rhino Lined - Chevrolet 305 H.O. - SM465 - NP208C - All-Pro Off Road 5" Springs - 35x15.50x15 Super Swampers
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your tank is probably fine. Your jeep is not that old. They need to fix the fuel pump issue on their dime. Next time pay with a credit card and dispute the charges if they won't correct it.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
NeilBedwin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Isn't the gas tank made of a plastic? Where does the metal shavings come from?
NeilBedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That is the biggest load of BS! No way does a plastic tank need to be "flushed". There is no way to get metal shavings in a plastic tank unless they put it in there. No reason to ever "seal" a plastic tank. Are you sure the pump is your issue? Did you check your fault codes? There are several other optionsfor problems. We have seen pumps bad from stock on the forum but highly unlikely.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

They fixed everything on there dime.

They did show me some small metal shavings that were caught in the old fuel pump (the first one). The only thing I can think that would cause that is low end gas.

Mopar warranted there pump witch was faulty. The shop drained my gas tank and cleaned it the best they could (not quite sure how you would clean a gas tank, mabye pressure wash it?) The shop covered the labor costs witch was a little over 2h 30m.
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The only way to get metal back there is the pump itself. Glad it worked out.
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

When pumps fail, they "make" metal. The debris was from the pump eating itself to death.
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
When pumps fail, they "make" metal. The debris was from the pump eating itself to death.
That sounds horrific! I wonder what the one month old pump that was faulty looked like. The pump eating its self to death is just caused by the gasoline corrosion over time correct?
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Of have heard of the after market pumps failing but it usually its electrical not metal like bearings failing.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.