Gas tank is empty at 1/4? only 9 gallons?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gas tank is empty at 1/4? only 9 gallons??

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
njchuck
1978 CJ7 

Gas tank is empty at 1/4? only 9 gallons??

Hello everyone I got a gas tank that is being a pain it seems to only hold 9 ish gallons of gas and right before it hits 1/4 tank it runs out of gas!! Anyone got any ideas i was thinking of dropping the tank and removing that pipe in it .... this makes the tank hold what amount??
Last question do i have change the fuel pump if i make this mod?
Thanks everyone

njchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
larrylarch
1992 YJ Wrangler 

you do not have to replace the fuel pump to do this mod. I gained about 4 gallons when I did it to mine. I run out of gas when my gas gauge reads a little over 1/4 tank which is just a quirk about the wrangler gas gauge after a while. It is expensive to replace the sending unit if you can find one. I drive my jeep by mileage on the odometer instead of the gauge. 9 gallons seems to be a few gallons short of what I would usually end up pumping into mine when it was empty before I did the mod to my tank. If you do drop your tank, just push the inner tube into the tank and then pull it out through the access hole where you fuel pump mounts. I found that easier to do then to try and pull the tube out the other way
larrylarch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well let's see here,,,, 15 gallons/4 = 3.75 gallons. So, 3/4 tank = 11.25 gallons, you're just about right I'd guess, considering that YJ gauges are rarely dead nuts accurate. Try this...... http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/15to20gal.html, that's what Larry was refering to.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchuck View Post
Hello everyone I got a gas tank that is being a pain it seems to only hold 9 ish gallons of gas and right before it hits 1/4 tank it runs out of gas!! Anyone got any ideas i was thinking of dropping the tank and removing that pipe in it .... this makes the tank hold what amount??
Last question do i have change the fuel pump if i make this mod?
Thanks everyone
I think your problem is more severe than just an off gauge. If you are "running out of gas" and can only fit 9 gallons in, then you have something internally wrong with the vent hose, mod listed above, OR the fuel pump pick up is not where it should be. I would do that mod, but if it continues, it sounds like you need to inspect the fuel pump assembly.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
I think your problem is more severe than just an off gauge. If you are "running out of gas" and can only fit 9 gallons in, then you have something internally wrong with the vent hose, mod listed above, OR the fuel pump pick up is not where it should be. I would do that mod, but if it continues, it sounds like you need to inspect the fuel pump assembly.

Crap, somehow missed the running out part.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
Slickbr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Fix for the 1/4 tank empty!!

Have been doing alot of "Muddin'", I lived in FL with my 1st YJ and did alot of in the mud 4 wheeling'..... mud and dirt will get packed into the space between the tank and the skid plate. This in combination with a defect in the tank (if it's poly) will force the bottom of the tank to heave up and lift the Gas gauge float to stop prematurely @ the 1/4 full level. It happened to my 93 YJ. The Jeep dealership in Palm Harbor, FL took care of the problem by dropping the tank and replacing the defective tank under warranty.

Brando
Slickbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
njchuck
1978 CJ7 

Thanks for the info guys looks like i just need some warm weather and just drop the tank to get a look at what is what. It is a pain in the backside because I have to go to the gas station to top it off every day because of my 110 or so mile drive drive to and from work. Oh well I need to do some welding to the frame back there anyhow......sucks to be lazy!
njchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2009, 06:03 AM   #8
asbury
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i didthe fuel tank mod, you do not need to change the pump, first check and see if your jeep has a poly tank or a metal tank, if it is poly do the mod,i can put 20 gal in my tank after i did this mod
Unread 01-31-2009, 07:17 AM   #9
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbury View Post
i didthe fuel tank mod, you do not need to change the pump, first check and see if your jeep has a poly tank or a metal tank, if it is poly do the mod,i can put 20 gal in my tank after i did this mod
I am not trying to jump down your throat here at all, but reread his post. Even if he does that mod, he is still having a significant problem with the tank.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
asbury
1995 YJ Wrangler 

did the 92's have poly tank or metal????,,,,,,,,,
his problem could be that there is an obstruction in the vent not allowing him to fill his tank to it's capacity, this is a free mod which i would try first before dropping the tank, i know he said he needs to do some welding back there any way and he wants to wait till it warms up to do that ,it only takes about 1 hr to do the tank vent mod
Unread 01-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #11
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mine '90 was having a similar problem when I bought it. When I dropped the tank during the engine swap, I discovered that the plastic sleeve on the mesh pick up/filter assy. had cracked and allowed this piece to fall off the bottom of the fuel pump assy. so the pick up no longer reached to the bottom of the tank. I would start to run out around a 1/4 tank indicated - especially if I went around a hard corner. This I theorize was because, with the shortened pick up, the baffle tray in the bottom of the tank was no longer deep enough to keep gas going to the fuel pump. The bad thing about this is that it would also allow any junk that makes it's way into the tank to be sucked up into the fuel pump. I have the 12 gallon metal tank but I would imagine others would behave the same way.
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
stu1021 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When you do drop the tank make sure the gauge reads empty when the float is at the bottom of the tank. Also move the float slightly and make sure it is changing correctly on the guage. If it does not read empty when the tank is empty bend the float arm till it does. My guage reads fairly accurate since doing this.
Unread 01-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
asbury
1995 YJ Wrangler 

what year did jeep change from metal tanks to the poly tanks,, i don't have my repair manual in the house ,
what stu1021 says makes sense if yours has metal tank
Unread 01-31-2009, 10:26 PM   #14
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbury View Post
what year did jeep change from metal tanks to the poly tanks,, i don't have my repair manual in the house ,
what stu1021 says makes sense if yours has metal tank
You have a poly tank.

To the OP. Mine did the same thing at a 1\4 tank, after I put a dent in the skid plate. The mod will only get you farther down the road. The problem will still be there. I bought a Warn skid plate, and the problem was solved
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #15
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with Rusty, if he's "running" out of gas, and can only put 9 gallons in after that, there is something else at play here.

As far as the gauge reading 1/4 tank when it runs out, I would suspect that possibly the float arm may be hanging up on the baffle inside the tank, there's not much clearance between the baffle & the path of the float arm.

Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.