gas tank capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > gas tank capacity

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 10-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
91killanotch
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: richmond
Posts: 18
gas tank capacity

hey jsut wondering if anyone can tell me the size ( capacity ) of the gas tank in my jeep. its a 91 YJ 4.0L 5SPD. believe it or not i have searched for a bit and actualyl cant find the capacity, any help would be great.

91killanotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
andygio71
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 227
I believe they came in 20 and 15 gallon versions for yj's in general, you likely have a 20 seeing as you've got the 4.0. Run it down to 1/8th tank or so and then top it off; if you're at or over 15 gallons for that fill up, you've got the 20

Edit: also, it's the same tank either way, the 15 just has a longer filler neck so you can't get all 20 in there. It was just a way to get people to pay more without costing the company much. This can be modified if you've got the 15, there are many write ups on it
andygio71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
91killanotch
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: richmond
Posts: 18
thas the problem i dont know where empty is fuel gauge no longer works, so im trying to figure out how much is in there at certain km intervals
91killanotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
andygio71
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 227
Mine doesn't work either, this is what I did: topped it off and ran it assuming 10mpg (I've got a carbed 4.2, you may do better depending on mods). After 140 miles or so, so using roughly 14 gallons, I filled it up. I went that distance because if I had the 15, I wouldn't want to get too close to running out. When I filled it I put in just over 15 gallons (looking back i realized i had it idling a lot during that week which explains the milage, i get 12mpg now) the there was no way I didn't have the 20 gallon tank. So now I just assume 10mpg and fill up at 170-180 miles. Hope that helps
andygio71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
91killanotch
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: richmond
Posts: 18
i was thinking of doing the same kind of thing and jsut calculating it that way, was hoping there was just and easier way of figuriong out the size haha. thanks alot for your help, much appreciated.
91killanotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
mrmark
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by andygio71 View Post
Edit: also, it's the same tank either way, the 15 just has a longer filler neck so you can't get all 20 in there. It was just a way to get people to pay more without costing the company much. This can be modified if you've got the 15, there are many write ups on it
Actually, it's the vent tube and if you can get to it it's about 5 minutes to make it 20 gallon from 15. Pull the vent hose off the tank and then you will see a sleeve inside the tube, pull it out, it's about 7 or 8 " long. Then put the vent hose back on. You now will have a 20 gallon tank.
__________________
Wave as you pass me :D

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
andygio71
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91killanotch View Post
i was thinking of doing the same kind of thing and jsut calculating it that way, was hoping there was just and easier way of figuriong out the size haha. thanks alot for your help, much appreciated.
no problem, that way that i found out was completely by accident, i didn't know about the 20 gallon at the time so i thought the gas station was screwing me over. the only other thing i just thought of is finding the options sheet for the jeep, the dealership can do it, i'd be surprised if it didnt mention the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmark View Post
Actually, it's the vent tube and if you can get to it it's about 5 minutes to make it 20 gallon from 15. Pull the vent hose off the tank and then you will see a sleeve inside the tube, pull it out, it's about 7 or 8 " long. Then put the vent hose back on. You now will have a 20 gallon tank.
oops, thanks for the correction, knew it was some kind of tube
andygio71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Kamikaze
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Deset Hot Spring
Posts: 131
I have a 94 yj with the 4.0 and 20 gal tank and a 88 yj 2.5 with a 15 gal tank and the tanks are visually different in size.
__________________
Live Free, Laugh Loud and be Friendly.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
fratis
......
 
fratis's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hale'iwa, Hawai'i
Posts: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
I have a 94 yj with the 4.0 and 20 gal tank and a 88 yj 2.5 with a 15 gal tank and the tanks are visually different in size.
ive noted this but got tired of arguing with the masses about it. my 91 4.0 came with a 20 gal tank. people keep telling me and others to pull a hose out of it and i keep telling them it came as a 20.
__________________
-insert meaningless out-of-place political diatribe-
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear
 
Mean Max's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 13,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze
I have a 94 yj with the 4.0 and 20 gal tank and a 88 yj 2.5 with a 15 gal tank and the tanks are visually different in size.
The '87-'90 tanks (poly or steel) are completely different from the '91-'95 (poly for all) tanks.

ALL of the 15 & 20 gallon tanks used in the '91-'95 models are the same tanks & the 15 gallon versions can easily be converted to 20 gallons using the commonly known vent tube modification.

Max
__________________
Click here to see all of my different albums on Photobucket.
Choose any album to see all of my pics!


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear
 
Mean Max's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 13,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmark

Actually, it's the vent tube and if you can get to it it's about 5 minutes to make it 20 gallon from 15. Pull the vent hose off the tank and then you will see a sleeve inside the tube, pull it out, it's about 7 or 8 " long. Then put the vent hose back on. You now will have a 20 gallon tank.
The stock vent tube sleeves are 10-1/2" for the 15 gallon tank, and 3-1/2" for the 20 gallon tank.

Max
__________________
Click here to see all of my different albums on Photobucket.
Choose any album to see all of my pics!


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #12
mrmark
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max

The stock vent tube sleeves are 10-1/2" for the 15 gallon tank, and 3-1/2" for the 20 gallon tank.

Max
I just pulled it out never actually measured it...
__________________
Wave as you pass me :D

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.