Gas leaking from filler neck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gas leaking from filler neck

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
JIBTEXHNKA
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Gas leaking from filler neck

After re-installing my fuel tank, I'm having a problem. Gas is leaking from where the filler neck connects to the tub (not the fuel cap). I only have three screws holding it on but I don't think that's the problem as it never leaked before. Is there a gasket that goes in there?

It's only a problem when filling with a gas can with a short nozzle or on steep inclines... then it just dumps gas out the back. No good.

Washington Virtual Jeep Club
JIBTEXHNKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The fuel filler bezel does not perform any sealing function. Look closely at the hose clamps on the filler tube were it attaches to the filler neck. Also check the condition of the hose it'self. Likely you only need to tighten down the hose clamp as this seal was likely disturbed when you dropped the tank.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
JIBTEXHNKA
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'll look more closely... but I never touched those clamps and I'm almost certain it was leaking past those screws. Hmm.

Washington Virtual Jeep Club
JIBTEXHNKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not implying that you touched those clamps. It is the most likely cause for a leak due to your description and given the work that was performed. It is either the clamp on the neck for the fill tube or the vent, or in an extreme scenario, you may have cracked the filler neck during the above mentioned work. All you can due is to closely inspect all of the above to see what is up.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.