Funky Electrical Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Funky Electrical Problems

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Ptr
1992 J-Series Truck 

Funky Electrical Problems

My jeep recently (well past 5 months), lost blinkers and wipers. Turns out my wiper motor was fired so I replaced that, but no dice. I just replaced the turn signal harness and turn signal lever. Still I don't have blinkers or wipers. My hazards are working though. All my relays and fuses have been replaced.
Soooo what should I look at replacing next?

Ptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

On the firewall above the battery you should find test ports which will help you figure out the voltages going to, or from, various points on the vehicle. With the Factory Service Manual you'll be able to determine with a little more accuracy what is going wrong.

What goodies do you have hooked into the harness? I'm asking to figure out what may have severed it at some point? Also - when you had the windshield down and the motor exposed, did you check to see if you were getting voltage from the switch?

Voltage could be a problem if the ground was not correctly attached in the steering column. Check both sides of the harness there on the column for correct ground and power.
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Ptr
1992 J-Series Truck 

I don't have a test port above my battery..
THe harness that I replaced was this:
I did not try testing to see if there is voltage going to the motor yet.
Where is the ground on the steering column located?
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Gotcha - you can see the cancelling cams there in the picture and the ground I believe is next to the horn button for the horn. Does your horn work? If your hazards don't work, and your turn signals don't work my thinking is that the electrical on the harness end is not connected or has broken?
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Ptr
1992 J-Series Truck 

Yes, my horn does work. Along with the hazards too.
All the connections are put together correctly too.
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Ptr
1992 J-Series Truck 

In addition to the wipers and blinkers not working, my cigarette lighter doesn't work. Could this be part of the mystery or something else?
Unread 04-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check you fuses under the dash.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have you tried flipping around the hazard/flasher unit to see if the flasher unit is dead?
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
Ptr
1992 J-Series Truck 

Fuses are good and flasher units too. I even switched them around.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.