Funky electrical issue with right rear light. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Funky electrical issue with right rear light.

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 01-20-2014, 01:57 AM   #1
theflyer007
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Funky electrical issue with right rear light.

I know I can search but it is late and I'm still puzzled on this issue. Background 91 Yj past couple weeks right rear light would be on when lights where on, but would dim when the brakes where applied. Now the light does not come on when the lights are on, but both reverse lights blink when you use the turn signal to the right. The light bulbs are fine, and I would think it had ground as it lights up. Thanks guys and gals

theflyer007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:26 AM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

no its backfeeding using the reverse light as a ground.. take the light off, clean the mounting studs and the tub around it and reinstall. See if your light works correctly afterwards

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
Jeepsr4me

also make sure the right bulb in there. There is a single prong and a double.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
theflyer007
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I ve cleaned the housing and it appears the bolts have a plastic washer on them. Should I make a new ground wire? Could it be the switch on the steering column?
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The problem is related to a bad ground or back feeding. Something is wrong with the wiring at the back of the Jeep. Clean connections, make good grounds, make sure all bulbs are OK and working - if one is burnt out it could freak out. If a ground went bad or a power wire is shorting to a ground it can cause backfeeding of this kind. If you know any mechanics with a Power Probe tool, go see them, they can make quick work of it. Or a cheap test light and a few beers until you find it.

Funny, I had a problem with my backup lights not being bright enough and my taillights / turnsignal interrupting one another for no apparent reason and out of the blue - turned out to be a bad ground on the reverse lights. Adding a ground wire for each light made everything work beautifully.

It sounds like a short because the currents are cancelling one another out. Idk. Have at it.
GrEmLiN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
theflyer007
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks will try

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.