full time locker all round ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > full time locker all round ?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Scorch1969
1991 YJ Wrangler 

full time locker all round ?

you guys think i am creating a undrivable (city streets) jeep if i have full time lockers in both the front and rear diffs ? I really don't know what to expect. Spartan locker is allready installed in front. plans for a aussie locker for the rear are being formulated. Hear a free spin kit (locking hubs) may be necessary, again don't really know yet. Gotta got to driving it again!!

Scorch1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If your front axle is stock, then you won't have any issues in the front being that it is already free spinning until you engage 4x4. Your rear will take getting used to as it will chirp tires when cornering. You will not be able to accelerate into a turn.

Honestly I would say leave the rear alone as you don't want to put money into your rear axle. It's the d 35 and its junk. Wait until you get an 8.8 and also I don't think it's necessary to have a lunchbox locker in the rear as the front will make you much more capable already.

Start with and Aussie up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

U should b fine, I drive around with a spool in the rear and a Spartan locker upfront w no real issues.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Spartan is fine upfront even with a TJ solid passanger shaft since there is no power being put down to the front in 2wd. Spartan and all autolockers need torque from the driveshaft to lock, so the front is no problem.

The rear will be extremely noticeable all of the time. It will pop, click, drag the ties around turns and lock/release unexpectedly in the rain on turns.
Some say it's ok once you get used to it. I would not do it to a DD. I would not do it to a D35 either.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
U should b fine, I drive around with a spool in the rear and a Spartan locker upfront w no real issues.
The issues ARE real, you've just chosen to ignore them or get used to them.
Tire wear is faster, turning radius is reduced. However, a spool is more predicctable than a lunchbox in the rear. It will never unlock or lock on you in the middle of a turn and throw you into the other lane
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Have you considered a Limited Slip Differential? You still get power in both wheels, but it performs more like an open differential on the road. I think it would be a good compromise between lockers and the stock open differential.
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think you should put an autolocker in the rear. Either limited slip or selectable locker is the way to go.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
willawolfe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Locked axle on dry pavement is not comfortable to drive
willawolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've ran a lock-right in the rear for over 10 years. just have to learn how to handle it on the pavement. 5 years as a DD.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Drove auto lockers on mine as a daily driver for years without issue. Snow and ice may be a concern for you up there though. LSDs suck, invest the money on a selectable before you waste it on a LSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

hmmm u dont get much snow in rupert, but it will make driving in the snow somewhat interesting, it will come around on u very fast and unpredictabley

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
Spartan is fine upfront even with a TJ solid passanger shaft since there is no power being put down to the front in 2wd. Spartan and all autolockers need torque from the driveshaft to lock, so the front is no problem.

The rear will be extremely noticeable all of the time. It will pop, click, drag the ties around turns and lock/release unexpectedly in the rain on turns.
Some say it's ok once you get used to it. I would not do it to a DD. I would not do it to a D35 either.
X2. Front locker with solid shafts works great. I would not invest in a locker for the d35 (been there done that). 8.8 is a great fairly inexpensive way to upgrade your rear axle.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.