full steel door wont open - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > full steel door wont open

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Anonymous6915
2009 JK Wrangler 

full steel door wont open

ok so i had my passanger side door out to replace the outside handle and i lubed everything up.

Thursday i decided i would start locking the doors() now the passanger side door will not open. It locks and unlocks fine but will not open.

Its still on the jeep b/c i cant get it open but i did take out the panel and take a look inside. everything looks like its working correctly but the door will just not open.

Anyone ever experiance anything like this? PLEASE HELP...TIa

Anonymous6915 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same thing happen to me. You can't get the cover off with the door closed to get at the parts. Check that long rod. I don't know what you call it, but that's what came loose. There is a clip on it that breaks and it won't work. But you can't get to it unless you take off that little panel. I had a friend with little hands come over and he got it on.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Anonymous6915
2009 JK Wrangler 

i got the small metal panel off but i dont see anything wrong with the rods, they work just fine(i think) i just cant get the door to release...
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
sofixj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

same thing happened to me last week. i had to remove the striker from the tub, unbolt and fold down the windshield and lift the door off with a buddy. once on the ground we found that the door stiker latch siezed up and i have to replace it. Im going to cj5.com on tue he said he has a few and only $25.00 so now im running door less and topless till then.
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_) only in a JEEP
sofixj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How did you get that panel off with the door closed? There are are those 2 screws that you can't get at. When mine was stuck it would just pull but you could tell it wasn't working anything. But it would lock and unlock like your saying. The reason I think it's the rod is because you just replaced the handle.
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Anonymous6915
2009 JK Wrangler 

well i didnt put all the screws back so i was able to get the panel off by taking the other screws out...
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Then you can see where that long rod goes. There is supposed to be a clip on it. What ever, just push or pry that piece rearward.
Unread 09-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Anonymous6915
2009 JK Wrangler 

would you mind showing me which one? i just went out there and i cant get it to release.

sorry for the large pix. i cant get them smaller...
Unread 09-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
lestes94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

One problem could be that the rods could be out of adjustment. Where it goes into the clip, if it isn't exactly right, the rod will be shorter(or longer) and won't work correctly. Happened to me before. If you do take them off, just put them up to the clip to where it fits naturally, not pulling on it or anything, then snap it in. Might not be your problem, but it can give you the same problems.
lestes94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
Anonymous6915
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestes94 View Post
One problem could be that the rods could be out of adjustment. Where it goes into the clip, if it isn't exactly right, the rod will be shorter(or longer) and won't work correctly. Happened to me before. If you do take them off, just put them up to the clip to where it fits naturally, not pulling on it or anything, then snap it in. Might not be your problem, but it can give you the same problems.
well, its not the rods or clips, everything works identicly to the driverside door which works fine. it seems to me like the latch piece just doesnt want to let go, is this a common problem with an easy fix? i dont want to have to take my hardtop off and move my windshield and unbolt the whoole damn thing...
Unread 09-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

don't take the top off. The long rod should release the latch. If you just push down on the latches that hold the pin on the right it will open. Looks pretty rusty. Just pry those too levers toward the front.
Unread 09-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

looks like your door might be siezed on the latch part... try holding the inside handle in the open position and giving the door a good hit (kick it from the inside near the latch) and see if the door flys open.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just push the bottom latch down and the top up. Wedge them if you have too.
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #14
Anonymous6915
2009 JK Wrangler 

so basicaly, force the two hook looking things apart from the strike? i was trying to but not to hard as i didnt want to break it but if you guys have done this before, ill feel better doing it.

Unread 09-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #15
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My passenger side full door did that a year ago. I had to bend the plate covering the latch back, then, take an angle grinder and cut the latch itself. On mine, you could see that the springs for the latch "clamps" broke, didn't matter what the rods did, it would not open. Haven't even tried to find out where I can get a new latch yet, but, I have a set of soft doors, so, it's ok.

Jerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.