full steel door hinge pins? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > full steel door hinge pins?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
jeeptim
1987 YJ Wrangler 

full steel door hinge pins?

I acquired a set of full steel doors but one of the doors is misssing the actual pins, the hinge is there but no pins. I can't seem to find a place that sells these seperately. any ideas? Thanks

Unread 08-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Devilsmed98
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure what you mean because when I bought my jeep there were no pins. Just a steel screw with little thread on the bottom to hold a nut. They work great. And fit snugly. Not sure if this is the way its suppose to come because they look fairly new compared to the rest of the jeep, but they should come like this factory.
~Black WK Club Member #9~
2011 WKII Overland
2007 WK Limited[/COLOR]
1995 YJ Rio Grande
Devilsmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This is all I could find.

Door Hinges and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH2

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
timbertiger20
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The hinges on the door itself should have a threaded bolt end sticking down. The hinges on the body should have the hole for the studs to go though and then have a nut at the bottom. They may have switched the body and door hinge.
timbertiger20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Given the design on the hinge.. I would have to say that the pin came out of the hinge. I believe the pin is just welded in from the top of the hinge. Easy fix, buy new hinges... made hard by Jeeps satanic pact with all things having to do with torx.

If that is not going to work, I am willing to bet you can find some round stock that would fit the hinge. If it's a nice tight fit, clean it out and add some lock tight, then tap the new pin in place. Worst case, you can have a shop custom turn a piece of sock to fit the proper pin diameter to replace it. FWIW, my older CJ style doors do not have threaded ends, just tapered pins.
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

One of my half doors was like that when I bought them. It's just got a bolt through there now. I have no idea where you may be able to get just the pin part, you'll probably have to get an entire new set of hinges.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Get a long grade 8 bolt, cut the head off, tap it in and weld the top just like the OEM pin would be.
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
jeeptim
1987 YJ Wrangler 

one of the doors has the hinge pins and they are grooved on the end and just tap into the hinge, they are not welded, I see a couple of bolts in my future =)
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Get a long grade 8 bolt, cut the head off, tap it in and weld the top just like the OEM pin would be.
My hinges are in tough shape also but I don't want to spend the $$$ to replace them.

It seems that IronMaiden and I must be on the same wave lenght on this fix. Grade 8 bolts tapped in and welded is the cheapest fix I figured, even if you have to hire out the welding portion of the job.

Or you could insert the grade 8 bolt, cross drill it and install a stainless steel roll pin, but welding in the bolt is the way to go.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
johnoutdoors
1992 YJ Wrangler 

3/8 rod will fit pretty well. made a mirror to fit in there so its legal with the doors off.
johnoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What's with all the welding, cross-drilling, and roll pins? Just grab a 3/8" hex bolt. Make sure it's long enough to double-nut the end so you don't have to tighten it down on the door hinge.

3/8" threaded rod fits though the hinge (I made mirrors for going doorless too), but a bolt with it's smooth shaft would work better for the hinge. Cut off the excess bolt after the double-nut on the end.
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Only problem is trying to cross drill a grade 8 bolt. It won't happen.

A spot on top with a little bit of weld on it to keep it from falling out would be your best bet and it would look totally stock.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.