Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Full Steel Door Handles

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Square Peg 
#1 ·
Hey-

My drivers side full steel door handle got scrathed and is starting to rust over. I have looked online and in JC and havent been able to find replacement handles... Does anyone know where I can buy a new set (preferably chrome)? Thanks!

Tom
'95 YJ

#2 ·
Have you tried Rosser Jeep (www.thinkjeep.com) or Quadratech if you dont see them on line or in a catalog call sometimes they have stuff they dont list I know rosser sells em in black as part of thier full steel door kit but i dont see em listed by them selves or in the chrome section.
It seems to me (here we go) that a door handle especially a black one could be easily fixed if it is just scratched , even deeply .Most door handles are made of a 'pot metal ' casting and really wont rust in the normal sense of the word but may show some corrosion upon exposure to the elements. i would try taking say a dremel moto-tool and grind out or clean out the scratch with it down to bright metal , then use some primer to protect that and then either some epoxy or POR-15 to build it back up some or make it less visible than after a mild surface sanding just to scuff it up some repaint the whole face with some gloss black epoxy paint.
Ought to make it look pretty good.
Anyway if you strike out and cant find em or dont want to repair the one you have I have some chrome ones on the wrangler I am parting out I'm not really sure how good the chrome is on em but I could take a pic and send it to you . But let me know how you make out .Good luck !

#3 ·
I haven't seen the chrome units since the late 80's. What the catalogs have out there now are overlays. Quadratec disco'd them 3 years ago because people kept cutting their fingers on the edges ... must have been made by Steel Horse ... lol.
If yours are black, it should be easy and cheap to sand off the corrosion and touch it up with paint.
If I could find the unit in stainless steel I'd probably swap out the black one but that's me ... I'd like to see a DeLorean looking Jeep ... lol :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.