full spool vs lock right locker - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > full spool vs lock right locker

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #31
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Since you are planning to use this on the street (locked or spooled). For one if both wheels are pushing at the same rate then you will have to learn to drive with the aspects that you might go straight instead of turning on slick roads ( ie snow or ice cover). Now this could be a great thing for off road but on the street no so good. Have you ever drive a straight rear axle go cart? Now you will push the front straight or have a lot of under steer. I'm not saying that either does not have a place but in a DD I would not think either is a good choice. Now if it was me then I would save up to buy a selectable lockers. For one it would get the for both worlds. Here another way of looking at this do it once but do it right the first time saves money and time.

Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #32
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
nicely put...i need to learn how to say this myself.
+1

Same here.

I dont know why locker threads get so heated but they do. At the end of the day all the systems described in this thread have their pros and cons. In the end only the OP can decide what's right for him as individual use and driving style plays as big or a bigger factor than the technical aspects of the unit itself.

We would all do well to keep in mind what's right or wrong for US isn't neccacarily the same for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 05:34 AM   #33
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krochus View Post
+1

Same here.

I dont know why locker threads get so heated but they do. At the end of the day all the systems described in this thread have their pros and cons. In the end only the OP can decide what's right for him as individual use and driving style plays as big or a bigger factor than the technical aspects of the unit itself.

We would all do well to keep in mind what's right or wrong for US isn't neccacarily the same for everyone.
That is why I just state the facts that I know about somethings. Then I would say what I would do if I was thinking about the same subject. You know the old say everyone has a opinion and everyone has an ***hole .
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #34
smudge
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry that I'm not adding anything constructive to this thread, but this line is hilarious...
Adding it to my sig, if you don't mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krochus
I guess the main problem is my jeep doesn't have access to the Internet and therefore doesn't know it's supposed to flip upside down and burst into flames the moment one of my locked rear tires touch asphalt.
[quote=Krochus]I guess the main problem is my jeep doesn't have access to the Internet and therefore doesn't know it's supposed to flip upside down and burst into flames the moment one of my locked rear tires touch asphalt.[/quote]
smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #35
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Having drivin on road with both a Detroit and then a Spool in the rear of a Toy truck, I can say that the spool was more predictable when cornering, it always plowed into a curve chirping the inside tire the whole way. The locker was a little more unpredictable depending on how much power I applied and when in the curve I applied it. You get used to it, but sometimes can still catch you off gaurd.

On a daily driver I would perfer a selectable locker.
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #36
fattcat69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

spool or lunchbox in front! Neither...

Im running ! ton gear and run a Nice Tight LSD in the front 60, and a Detroit in my Rear 60, the Lunch box lockers will come apart if you use your 1 ton jeep to its potential, Spool the rear of get a locker that you can trust! light weight Spartan or lockrights will not last if you wheel hard and then you will be out alot of cash! the LSD needs axle tube seals to keep your fluid tip top and clutches clean and working well! When i hammer down in Front wheel drive via twin stick t/c i can steer and if i want to run 4 hi thru some nice powder roads at higher speeds my front axle isnt always pulling me off the road. just my 0.2cents from wheeling for almost 20 yrs and breaking alot of cheap crap.
fattcat69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #37
Dirttracker18
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krochus View Post
Also explain how an axle can get out from a broken c-clip with disc brakes.
Since you asked, after the clip breaks the only thing holding your axle in is the mount for your caliper. That part was not designed for the side/angle load that will now be applied to it. It will very quickly break off and allow the axle to head off on its merry way.

Coming from a auto racing background I can tell you I have seen it happen on lower level racecars that are not running a full floating rear.

Welded gears on a street driven vehicle are not a good idea, regardless of your abilities in welding. As a compotent welder, you should know that welding on harden metal, in this case the gears, causes stress and fatigues the metal.

While I have welded gears in my early race days, I know now better and have seen the results. It is a cheap way to lock up the diff but one that is not recommended for the reasons stated above.

Personally I would not run a spool on the street (yes I see you said you do not intend to now). The stress on the axles and u joints are immense as well as premature tire wear.

As for the front, locking it makes turning a bear to say the least. It will also cause the front tire to "push" like a dump truck as the cannot turn at unequal speeds as will be required. Instead they will scrub forward instead of changing the direction of travel. Moving slow off road this can be overcome, on the street, it is just dangerous and makes for an unpleasant drive.

My $0.02, hopefully you got your moneys worth
Dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #38
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am running a spartan right now in my 8.8 and am considering a full spool when I throw the super 88 kit in it. I love my spartan but its only as strong as the carrier and at times can be unpredictable (while accelerating hard and shifting it tends to throw into oncoming traffic as the locker is locking and unlocking) and every now and then it likes to make a loud pop which still scares me every time I hear it haha! I like the idea of the spool due to its strength and predictability. oh yeah I forgot to say I dd my jeep!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

RIP
96 jeep xj, 4.5 inch rc x-series lift with .75 coil spacer, siting on 31-10.50-15 goodyear! (aka gas saver)

RIP
96 jeep zj iro otk steering 7 inch iro critical path long arms lift siting on 35-13.50-15 toyo mt's and much more!
may 2011 GCOTM winner!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1208873/
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #39
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

this is from jp magazine

Lunchbox Lockers
There are tons of drop-in lockers designed to replace your factory differential gears. We've used several with generally poor results. While we consider lunchbox lockers a good beginner or temporary locker, we wouldn't count on one as a permanent modification. Many of the companies that make lunchbox lockers also make full-case lockers, so if you've got the money, step up to the plate. Their operation and installation are similar enough that we'll lump their performance into one general category, then give more detailed descriptions below.

Overview:
Is a replacement for spider gears that fits inside stock differential carrier. Geared teeth and springs unload when coasting and lock under power.

Street:
Acts like normal automatic locker, so normal jerks and banging associated with automatic lockers apply.

Off-road:
Locker-like traction when working properly, but gear teeth are susceptible to wear and failure. When worn, it may not lock or unlock smoothly. When the unit fails to lock, it will leave you with no drive in that axle. Very susceptible to damage from axleshaft failure, and strength of stock carrier can be a factor.

Good: Inexpensive, easy installation, no gear setup required. Can be used in front and rear applications.

Bad: Generally is weaker than full-case counterparts, wears quicker, strength limited to stock carrier.

Spool
Overview: A spool is just a solid chunk of metal that connects your axleshafts together permanently and forever. A mini-spool drops inside your factory carrier and replaces the spider gears. A full spool replaces your existing carrier and is what you should run, if possible. Don't run a spool in the front, 'cause you ain't a gonna be able to turn; they're for rear applications only.

Street:
A spool is noticeable on the street when cornering sharply, but is very predictable, and we actually prefer one in the rear of a short-wheelbase vehicle over an automatic locker. Since there's never any loading or unloading, you don't get the jerking or banging associated with automatic lockers. It will increase your turning radius somewhat, and you'll notice your rear tires will scrub and chirp around corners.

Off-road:
Since a spool never unlocks, it's extremely predictable off-road. And since it's a solid chunk of metal, we've never been able to harm one. We haven't really found the loss of turning radius to be a hindrance. That's what Reverse is for. We hypothesize that a spool is actually easier on axleshafts off-road because there's never any sudden loading or unloading. Power is always evenly distributed to both shafts, and traction is generally phenomenal.

Good: Inexpensive, simple, lightweight, and strong.

Bad: Tires will chirp when turning on pavement, tire wear is increased, and the turning radius increased. Really only for a rear-axle application that's primarily used off-road.

RIP
96 jeep xj, 4.5 inch rc x-series lift with .75 coil spacer, siting on 31-10.50-15 goodyear! (aka gas saver)

RIP
96 jeep zj iro otk steering 7 inch iro critical path long arms lift siting on 35-13.50-15 toyo mt's and much more!
may 2011 GCOTM winner!
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #40
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a welded 8.8, while its not terrible i wouldn't do it for a DD. I rarely drive my jeep on the rd so its not too bad. Tires chirp like crazy while turning. Haven't been offroad yet since i welded it but i expect nothing but awesome traction.

April 2012 YJ of the month

May 2013 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 02:40 AM   #41
rulppa
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have been running minispool with f8.8 while waiting eaton e-locker service kit, on the pavement with large tires, its just annoying and reduces turning radius because it just keep 'pushing'. For daily driven vehicle, it's something that you really want to skip. At winter time, it's fun but so are selectible lockers.
rulppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #42
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulppa
I have been running minispool with f8.8 while waiting eaton e-locker service kit, on the pavement with large tires, its just annoying and reduces turning radius because it just keep 'pushing'. For daily driven vehicle, it's something that you really want to skip. At winter time, it's fun but so are selectible lockers.
But is it in bearable? I am going to be running a full spool this year till next year until I can drop the coin on selectables, and I am going to be on 37's!

RIP

RIP
may 2011 GCOTM winner!
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #43
PA_YJ19
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I run one on the rear of mine n it's doesn't bother me at all. Just take tight turns on pavement slow and easy on the skinny pedal around them. I here my tires drag but no "chirp" really at all. Tho I'm sure if I hit the gas they'd b chirping. I love it, I prefer it's predictableness over the unlocking and locking of a lunchbox. It's not for everybody tho, that is for sure.
PA_YJ19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #44
WOKNROX
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerm26 View Post
Why wouldn't you want it to be spooled in the front? I'm curious because i'm considering one for my dana 60 front when i do my one ton swap pretty soon
Because without ram assist U can't turn....and even if u have a ram it tends to plow...
rule of thumb ...front axles require a selectable locker..
I know others will post up there opinions on this....but if ur not runnin a selectable locker in the front its because u can't afford one

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.