full spool vs lock right locker - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > full spool vs lock right locker

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 01-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #16
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerm26 View Post
Why wouldn't you want it to be spooled in the front? I'm curious because i'm considering one for my dana 60 front when i do my one ton swap pretty soon
I had just a lunch box locker in the front and the 2,3,4 point turns were bad enough with that. I could not imagine it with a spool.
Not sure if you had hydro assist or full hydro steering if that would help or maybe even take care of the issue.

Unread 01-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #17
mmkcmoore
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
He is not talking about a Dana 35 or anything about Lincoln locking it.
Personally I would go with a full Detroit.
If it was a trail only, limited on road then yes a spool.
Reason I would not put a spool on a daily driver would be tire wear.
Large offroad tires are exspensive enough.
i would like to go with a detroit but im tight on money which is why im deciding between a spool or lock right. and it does have a lot of time on the road as its my dd from school work and wherever else ill go.
mmkcmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #18
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkcmoore View Post
i would like to go with a detroit but im tight on money which is why im deciding between a spool or lock right. and it does have a lot of time on the road as its my dd from school work and wherever else ill go.
The aussies do not have a tire size limit. Not that the lock rights etc will not do ok with larger tires, but aussies warranty wont be negated by larger tires. I think the lock rights have a 32" limit in their warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #19
mmkcmoore
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
The aussies do not have a tire size limit. Not that the lock rights etc will not do ok with larger tires, but aussies warranty wont be negated by larger tires. I think the lock rights have a 32" limit in their warranty?
how much do aussies cost?
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #20
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

$240 plus shipping http://www.aussielocker.com/index.ph...-xd-13027.html

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #21
mmkcmoore
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok just looked up cost of aussie lockers not bad and in my price range. what are peoples expierences with these lockers on and off road and i seem to not be able to find one for a dana 60 on their site.
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #22
mmkcmoore
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
as i said ealier im putting a dana 60 in the rear so im doing all the work on that nothing to the stock axles is going to be done
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #23
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkcmoore View Post
as i said ealier im putting a dana 60 in the rear so im doing all the work on that nothing to the stock axles is going to be done
My bad, i missed the dana 60 part.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #24
mmkcmoore
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My bad, i missed the dana 60 part.
not a bid deal but i guess aussie doesnt make lockers for a dana 60 yet or something? and do u no how they perform on and off road anyway?
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #25
mmkcmoore
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i was just reading another forum what about welding the rear? isnt that the same thing pretty much as a full spool just a lot cheaper and keeps it 50/50 the whole time?
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #26
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When your welds crack and the dif comes apart on the freeway and your wheel takes off, maybe someone will be there to pull your smartass out of the flipped jeep and take you to the hospital. Like we did my friend. With any luck you wont kill anyone else.
Spare me the freaking melodrama, I already said I would not do a locked DD.

You assume that your buddies welding ability and mine are the same. I'm a little bit of a grownup too in that I have no desire to get over 55 mph in a softtop lifted jeep much less get "on the freeway". Sounds like you buddy stuck a mig welder to the spiders on a d35 and then decided to drive like he was in a rx8

I trust my welds as do most state DOT's

Also explain how an axle can get out from a broken c-clip with disc brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #27
micahtbyrd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i would not weld it, if you drive on the steet alot, go lockrite, in the 60, if not alot of street driving, go full spool, stupid strong, but it will wear the tires faster..as others have said they are both predictable, so the handling drawbacks are minimal, but do not weld it if you ever plan on a regear, or want it to last more than a few years...i just rebuilt my rear axle (built by PO) after only 4k of miles on a welded, brand new set of 5.38's in a waggy 44, the carrier was warped from welding, the welds were all cracked, and the yoke was worn like the axle has seen 200k, its not worth it in the long run.

i cost me over $900 to fix this, for new gears, install kit, labor, full spool, and a new yoke, the axle itself was ok still strait, and without premature wear on the housing....i was lucky.....o and it fragged my ring and pinion too not worth it...get a lockrite,,,,
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #28
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krochus View Post
You assume that your buddies welding ability and mine are the same.

I trust my welds as do most state DOT's

Also explain how an axle can get out from a broken c-clip with disc brakes.

There is no point arguing over this anymore, We will not agree and are just mucking up the thread. Best of luck to you and I really Do hope you do not kill yourself or someone else.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #29
mmkcmoore
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahtbyrd View Post
i would not weld it, if you drive on the steet alot, go lockrite, in the 60, if not alot of street driving, go full spool, stupid strong, but it will wear the tires faster..as others have said they are both predictable, so the handling drawbacks are minimal, but do not weld it if you ever plan on a regear, or want it to last more than a few years...i just rebuilt my rear axle (built by PO) after only 4k of miles on a welded, brand new set of 5.38's in a waggy 44, the carrier was warped from welding, the welds were all cracked, and the yoke was worn like the axle has seen 200k, its not worth it in the long run.

i cost me over $900 to fix this, for new gears, install kit, labor, full spool, and a new yoke, the axle itself was ok still strait, and without premature wear on the housing....i was lucky.....o and it fragged my ring and pinion too not worth it...get a lockrite,,,,
ya im leaning more towards the lock right side. just dont have the money to buy tires more often as i have 35s and those cost some money
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #30
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There is no point arguing over this anymore,
nicely put...i need to learn how to say this myself.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.