full spool vs lock right locker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > full spool vs lock right locker

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
mmkcmoore
1989 YJ Wrangler 

full spool vs lock right locker

so im debating on putting a lock right locker or a full spool in my axles. i do offroad a lot but my jeep is also my daily driver. so just tell me which you would choose.

mmkcmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would put a Lock-Right in the front. I would look at other options for a rear axle. I don't know if I would lock the D35 if I had to do it all over again.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would not use a spool on the street ever. When you corner your outside tire has more distance to cover then the inside tire. A full spool will cause terrible road manners and if you have one in the front without a CAD or locking hubs or if you use 4wd on ice or snow you will be in the nearest ditch with the quickness.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
mmkcmoore
1989 YJ Wrangler 

im just going to put one in the rear for now and its going on a dana 60 i have that ill put on my jeep once i get ready to be bolted in. so for now only the back will be done if that makes a difference
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

As indicated above, spools arent a whole lot of fun on a daily driver. They can also be scary on the street in rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
mmkcmoore
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i was thinking of prob doing the lock right anyway but i just hear that they are not good with 35s or bigger tires. i dont no if thats true or anything though
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A selectable locker is the best option. Me I have a LSD in the rear and a lockright in the front. A tight LSD is not as good as a locker however it works well on and off road and the locker in the front pulls me over most anything I come across here, I have never wished that I had a locker in the rear.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

While i would never concider spooling a DD I have been driving my locked 8.8 a great deal and honestly it isn't a quarter as dramatic as naysayers claim.

The ONLY time you can tell the rear is locked is (aside from massive traction offroad) when making a 90degree turn of greater such as at an intersection or when maneuvering at low speed such as in a parking lot. Out on the road in rain, snow or shine my jeep really drives no diffrent than it did with the open d35

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krochus View Post
While i would never concider spooling a DD I have been driving my locked 8.8 a great deal and honestly it isn't a quarter as dramatic as naysayers claim.

The ONLY time you can tell the rear is locked is (aside from massive traction offroad) when making a 90degree turn of greater such as at an intersection or when maneuvering at low speed such as in a parking lot. Out on the road in rain, snow or shine my jeep really drives no diffrent than it did with the open d35
Neither is a good idea on the highway, but especially not a lincoln locked c clip axle

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
Neither is a good idea on the highway, but especially not a lincoln locked c clip axle
Exactly how so?

I'll Keep that in mind when I figure out what these neblous "issues" I keep being told about finally decide to arise. I guess the main problem is my jeep doesn't have access to the Internet and therefore doesn't know it's supposed to flip upside down and burst into flames the moment one of my locked rear tires touch asphalt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krochus View Post
Exactly how so?

I'll Keep that in mind when I figure out what these neblous "issues" I keep being told about finally decide to arise. I guess the main problem is my jeep doesn't have access to the Internet and therefore doesn't know it's supposed to flip upside down and burst into flames the moment one of my locked rear tires touch asphalt.
When your welds crack and the dif comes apart on the freeway and your wheel takes off, maybe someone will be there to pull your smartass out of the flipped jeep and take you to the hospital. Like we did my friend. With any luck you wont kill anyone else.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
badmax
1990 YJ Wrangler 

jeepers guys!!! Ive had 2 mustangs with spools and 4:56 gears on the street. the road manners are not that bad except for very tight corners, expect to hear some tire talk! I didnt see a difference in the rain at all, But I cannot comment on snow. To each their own, but on a 50/50 rig I would see no problem with a spool
badmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmax View Post
jeepers guys!!! Ive had 2 mustangs with spools and 4:56 gears on the street. the road manners are not that bad except for very tight corners, expect to hear some tire talk! I didnt see a difference in the rain at all, But I cannot comment on snow. To each their own, but on a 50/50 rig I would see no problem with a spool
Ive run spools on the street, no its not that bad, it does add wear and it is trickier in the rain. If you can deal with the tire wear and take the time to get used to the rain its not that big of a deal no. Welded difs are great for offroad but they are potentially dangerous on the highway, Especially c-clip difs for obvious reasons.. Thats all im saying.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #14
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkcmoore View Post
im just going to put one in the rear for now and its going on a dana 60 i have that ill put on my jeep once i get ready to be bolted in. so for now only the back will be done if that makes a difference
He is not talking about a Dana 35 or anything about Lincoln locking it.
Personally I would go with a full Detroit.
If it was a trail only, limited on road then yes a spool.
Reason I would not put a spool on a daily driver would be tire wear.
Large offroad tires are exspensive enough.
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
parkerm26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
I would not use a spool on the street ever. When you corner your outside tire has more distance to cover then the inside tire. A full spool will cause terrible road manners and if you have one in the front without a CAD or locking hubs or if you use 4wd on ice or snow you will be in the nearest ditch with the quickness.

Dwayne
Why wouldn't you want it to be spooled in the front? I'm curious because i'm considering one for my dana 60 front when i do my one ton swap pretty soon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.