Full doors with soft top fitment issues. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Full doors with soft top fitment issues.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
gary69
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Full doors with soft top fitment issues.

Hey guys. I just bought a set of full doors with rollup windows for my 91 YJ. Only problem is the top corners of the doors are round and the top corner of my half doors are pointed. I see a best top tag on my soft top so im assuming its aftermarket. If i go buy a factory soft top will it bolt right in place of my current top? Or were things removed/ changed to make the aftermarket top work?

gary69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
mighty4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No - you would need a whole different soft top frame for the full doors.
95 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 4.88's, Aussie Locker D30, 35" Mud Rovers, Herculined tub, TKH rear bumper, Ford 8.8, JB Conv. SYE, Sylvania Silver Stars, T-MAX 9K winch, MORE 1" body lift, Turbo City oil pan skid, Rubicon Express 4" lift...

2012 KK Black all stock.
mighty4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
gary69
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, well i got the doors off a 93 a guy is parting out. The full soft top is still on it. What all would i need from that jeep besides the general frame? Door jamb parts? Top of the windshield parts?
Unread 12-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You need the full top, frame and all. The fabric, frame, and mounting is different than the factory square corner version.

For reference, the top you need is the Bestop supertop.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
jmmorgan82

Factory. Notice the square corners.

Supertop. Notice the rounded corners.

jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
gary69
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, now do all YJ hard tops fit any YJ to make these doors work? Or do the different style roll bars make a difference?
Unread 12-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary69
Ok, now do all YJ hard tops fit any YJ to make these doors work? Or do the different style roll bars make a difference?
Hard tops are the same. A CJ7 hardtop will also fit a YJ

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
Unread 12-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
gary69
1991 YJ Wrangler 

is there any hardware id be missing beacuse my jeep is setup for a soft top that i would need to buy to make a hard top work?
Unread 12-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Dear Santa. All I want for Christmas is a top for my YJ.

If it were me, I would find a way to make it work. After all, it IS a Jeep, so fabbing should come naturally.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
gary69
1991 YJ Wrangler 

trust me im a mechanic and an fabricator by trade. but ill tell you one thing, im not fabbing all the stupid a$$ clips and seals and buttons and retainers that jeep decided were necessary to hold a top on. i havent messed with any hard tops. all my experience is with soft tops so im not sure what parts are missing to make the hard top secure properly. some things are worth buying lol
Unread 12-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #11
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary69 View Post
trust me im a mechanic and an fabricator by trade. but ill tell you one thing, im not fabbing all the stupid a$$ clips and seals and buttons and retainers that jeep decided were necessary to hold a top on. i havent messed with any hard tops. all my experience is with soft tops so im not sure what parts are missing to make the hard top secure properly. some things are worth buying lol
Agreed. While I used to make/fab things in the past, I have discovered that after a time it is just easier to buy it. But, if you're in a pinch like me, then I will try to fab up something.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #12
gary69
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah and i have no problem fabbing a bracket here and there but if theres an extensive list of random pieces needed to make a hard too work correctly im not going to fab everything. Like i said i have no experience with a hard top. Maybe they are really simple? Im just concerned that because the jeep came factory with a soft top, that theres key components missing that i dont know to look for when buying a hard top. And someone said earlier that a CJ-7 hardtop would fit a YJ. Is that a DIRECT bolt on? Like they are legitimately 100% the same roof? Or do things need changed to make that work? And will it work with full metal YJ doors?
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary69
Yeah and i have no problem fabbing a bracket here and there but if theres an extensive list of random pieces needed to make a hard too work correctly im not going to fab everything. Like i said i have no experience with a hard top. Maybe they are really simple? Im just concerned that because the jeep came factory with a soft top, that theres key components missing that i dont know to look for when buying a hard top. And someone said earlier that a CJ-7 hardtop would fit a YJ. Is that a DIRECT bolt on? Like they are legitimately 100% the same roof? Or do things need changed to make that work? And will it work with full metal YJ doors?
Yes, there are small cosmetic differences but they are essentially the same.

The doors work fine. CJ and YJ doors are interchangeable too, except for the early CJ doors that had rotating instead of paddle latches. Those are very easy to tell apart.

The biggest thing you're probably going to encounter is not having the wiring or switches for the defrost and wiper(if the top you find has those features).

Unread 12-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
69moparman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary69 View Post
Gary69,
I have both a YJ and an early CJ7. The hard tops are interchangeable, and will work with the full steel doors. You will need to remove everything associated with the soft top. The windshield top rail, the framework on the tub, the sill plates that hold the bottom of the side windows, and the plastic channels mounted to the sides of your windshield frame. You will be missing the wire harness to the hardtop if the hardtop has a rear wiper or defogger - not a big deal unless you want them to work. The hardtop mounts to the sill rail on the tub with four bolts on each side. The holes are probably already on the tub, and they will most likely match up with the holes on the top. Across the top of the windshield frame, you'll probably have to drill holes to fasten the front of the top. I don't recall that detail when I mounted my hardtop. One thing you will want to replace on your used hardtop is the weatherstripping. You can buy a complete set of weatherstripping from Quadratec or go economical and get some generic weatherstripping from the hardware store. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. The most important weatherstrip is the one across the top front of the windshield. There's also corner pieces that go at the left and right edges of the windshield flange that keep water from coming in at the front top corners of the doors. These pieces are available from various Jeep parts suppliers.
As far as the doors are concerned, the early CJ7 doors have a twist type latch while the later ones have the pull type paddle handles. These latch to the tub in completely different ways. The later CJ7's, from 1980 - 86 use a Nader pin. All the YJ's also use the Nader pin. So those doors are interchangeable and will work with any year hardtop. There is no fundamental difference in the hardtops from 1976 through 2006, although there are differences in the rear glass, the flow through vents, rear window accessories, and top wire harnesses.
I have my Acme Hardtop with fiberglass doors from my CJ7 for sale, and also have a complete soft top including half steel doors from my YJ, all for sale if you need anything. Included with the hardtop are a pair of early CJ7 steel doors. The YJ factory soft top is khaki. All doors include keys. Both tops are in excellent condition, the steel CJ7 doors have some rust.
Hope this info helps.

Mark
69moparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #15
gary69
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok well that really clears things up, thank you moparman. Ill be going to pick the top up on sunday. Hopefully this is a smooth install.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.