Full Door Window question....searched no luck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Full Door Window question....searched no luck

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Jsplurge
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Full Door Window question....searched no luck

My question is, I am looking for the full doors, found one (passenger $100 no rust) but the vent glass is busted out, and the entire vent window track is expensive everywhere I've looked. So I thought what if you could put just a full piece of glass in and remove the vent track that goes from the top to bottom of the door, has anyone done this or can it be done and what is needed, any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Unread 04-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
youngYJ95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've heard of guys using CJ vent glass panels because they don't open, and they didn't like the opening feature. Maybe you could find glass from a TJ and the corner piece and convert it b/c they should be the same dimensions since people are able to fit them on their YJ's.
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not to squash anyones idea, but it wont work man. Take it from a glass guy w/ a lot of years experience. The internal guides for the window and other dimensions are not set up for a single piece of glass. Also, on TJ it uses a "cable pull" type regulator, a YJ uses the old "bent arm sprocket" type. They are just too different. Have you tried any local junk yards? I wouldnt even suggest it here in the Rust Belt, but down in FLA you might find one in good shape.
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
youngYJ95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well it was worth a thought....anyways your best bet is to watch your local craigslist and ebay and hope for the best.
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OP, if and when you find your parts, let me know if you need any diagrams to help with install. I have some wicked new glass software that has GREAT pic's of the whole window assembly. Have to fax 'em, cause software wont let you "copy" pictures, but I got 'em if you need 'em.
Unread 04-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
Jsplurge
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input guys, guess I'll just have to splurge and buy the entire vent frame.
Unread 04-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

I made a vent window for my passanger side door(similar situation, found hard doors, passanger side was missing all the glass). The frame for the vent glass was gone as well, all that was in the door was the seal for the vent window. I was able to cut out a piece of lexan, and fit it between the two "flaps" of the seal. It's not ideal, as I can no longer open that vent, but it's sealed up well enough that it's kept the rain out for the past 5 years.
Here's the best pic I could find, you can see that there is a little bit of hazing, but for a cheep fix, it worked out prety well.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.