fuel tank will not fill and gas overflows - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > fuel tank will not fill and gas overflows

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 02-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
mebetech
1991 YJ Wrangler 

fuel tank will not fill and gas overflows

Any one have a fix for not being able to fill my tank. I can get about 11 gallons in and then it shuts off or overflows. I have cleaned out the small vent tube in the wheel well area, but that was no help. Any suggestions???

mebetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
ramo109
2000 TJ Wrangler 

This happened with me, but it fixed when I started using nozzles with the cover such as these: http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/DSN...r_~1775424.jpg
ramo109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Try pumping it in slower.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have found that if I hold the gas nozzle at a certain position that mine will fill without kicking of until it is full.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thats a yj thing . we have 4 yjs and they all do it. you have to **** the nozzle just right and it usually works. also some places the nozzles are different, some seem to work better then others.

lol. ok make the **** say tilt, it actually said c o c k, so it blocked it out on me... and i couldnt bring myself to just change it

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR

Last edited by burnout189; 02-09-2010 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: :)
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
Anghil
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you were "c ock" blocked. I'm having a similar problem, except the fuel nozzle kicks after about 5 seconds, no matter what level the fuel is inside the tank. I've tried tilting it at different angle with very little success. Are there any fixes for this, or is it just something we all have to put up with?
Anghil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:23 AM   #7
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you want to fix this do the TJ style filler. It's a straighter fill line. I have found that if I do not try to run the pump at full speed it will fill fine.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.