Fuel Tank Mounting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Tank Mounting

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 09-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Tank Mounting

HI All,
It's been a while since I've checked in. Glad to be back. And I have a question.

I have an 89 YJ, 258. I installed a Warn gas tank skid plate 3 or 4 years ago. While on a trip on Utah's Hole In The Rock trail I discovered that the tank was floating loose inside the skid plate. There was nothing I could do for a proper repair so I used a cinch strap to stabilize the tank. I did not remove the skid plate. I have been using this way on several short trips. Since I had some time now, I thought I would fix it. I had to remove the tank and the skid plate and the rear after market bumper which kept the skid plate from dropping down.

I discovered that the T fitting on the front of the tank mounting strap had snapped off the strap. There was nothing to hold the tank in place except the skid plate. There was one strap in the middle. Looking at the factory service manual for my year and model, it shows two straps both off to the side and none in the middle. The Warn skid plate instructions show two straps but notes that some early YJ's had a single strap. Since I just installed the strap in its original location when I installed the skid plate, what I have now is the way the Jeep came form the factory-a single strap.

Researching the straps, what I found was a three strap set for my year and model. The Warn skid plate has slots for three straps. The Jeep dealership parts manual also shows a three strap set. The problem is I don't know if a three strap set will work for my tank. So, other than the note from Warn, I have no other information about a single strap set up.

How do you think I should proceed? Should I try to install three straps or stick with one assuming that the center strap in the three strap set will work? I can't buy a single strap.

Also, have any of you had problems with broken straps? The one I was using was after market from Crown.

One more. Is it true that converting to a 20 gal tank by shortening the fill vent tube only applies to 91 and later models? Does that mean that my 89 would actually need a new 20 gal tank? IOW, the 89's actually had two different tank capacities, 15 gal and 20 gal?

Thanks a bunch, Sparky

Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The strap kit should work. If anything you could just drill new holes on the skid. And yeah pre 91 had two different tanks. A steel 15 gallon tank and a plastic 20 gallon tank. and if you have a 15 gallon tank do you have straps on the side of the tAnk to. I know when I was going to put in a gen rite they only sell them for the 20 gallon tanks and the older 15s would just be able to slide from left to right b
Sawicki4wd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawicki4wd View Post
The strap kit should work. If anything you could just drill new holes on the skid. And yeah pre 91 had two different tanks. A steel 15 gallon tank and a plastic 20 gallon tank. and if you have a 15 gallon tank do you have straps on the side of the tAnk to. I know when I was going to put in a gen rite they only sell them for the 20 gallon tanks and the older 15s would just be able to slide from left to right b
HI Sawicki,
Thanks for your response. I'm not sure you have the correct picture recalled. The strap at the inside end (next to the differential) has a Tee fitting that slides into a slot in the skid plate where it is captured. Drilling a new hole won't get the job done.

According to the information I have, the original strap measures 26 7/8 inches long excluding the bolt end. The center strap in the three strap set is 28 1/4 inches long which means it won't work. Looks like I'm going to have to keep looking.

Any ideas?

Sparky
Unread 09-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
JBrunoJr

1994 15 and 20 gallon gas tank skid plate-NEED HELP!

Hi,

If there is no size difference between the 15 and 20 gallon gas tanks than why do they sell 15 and 20 gallon skid plates? I have to replace my fuel pump and sending unit on my 94 wrangler and the shop said I have a twenty gallon tank and need the more expensive 20 gallon skid plate. Is this BS?

Thanks!

JBrunoJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI JBrunoJr,
As far as I know, there is no tank size difference between the 15 gal tank and the 20 gal tank. I have specifically read this. If you research this you will find that the tanks are identical and the only difference is the length of the vent tube which allows you to get 5 more gallons into the tank. I think they are feeding BS. Challenge them on this one. All of this applies to post 1990 YJ's only. If they insist I would go to another shop.

Sparky
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI All,
Maybe I have solved the strap problem. On ebay I found a single strap solution which seems to apply to my tank. We will see. All this is very fuzzy since very few manufacturers publish strap lengths. I think they should be shot or at least subjected to torture until they change their ways. Very frustrating.

It's no wonder there is so much confusion. It's just life in the day of a Jeeper, I guess. I'll let you all know how this turns out.

Sparky
Unread 09-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

After '91 or at some point in '91 they started putting all poly tanks in and they were all 20 gallons and the charged more to give a shorter vent tube allowing 20 gallons to go in. So in yours you have either a steel 15 gallon tank or a poly 20 gallon tank. Which do you have? The stock steel 15 gallon tank only has one strap in the middle of the tank.

JBrunoJR, the different sized skid only applies to early models. I believe the sender is different, if you think about it the 15 will show full at 3/4 of the actually tank and the other shows full when the tank is actually full.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not true my 15 has a strap on the top and 1 on each side of the skid plate. I think in the 20 gallon tanks the frame holds the tank from going side to side
Sawicki4wd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
1989 YJ Wrangler 

We Need The Experts Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
After '91 or at some point in '91 they started putting all poly tanks in and they were all 20 gallons and the charged more to give a shorter vent tube allowing 20 gallons to go in. So in yours you have either a steel 15 gallon tank or a poly 20 gallon tank. Which do you have? The stock steel 15 gallon tank only has one strap in the middle of the tank.

JBrunoJR, the different sized skid only applies to early models. I believe the sender is different, if you think about it the 15 will show full at 3/4 of the actually tank and the other shows full when the tank is actually full.
HI timatoe,
We need to get some true experts in on this discussion. From all the documentation I have seen on this subject, it is not at all clear which tanks used 1, 2, or 3 straps. As Warn said in their skid plate instructions, the pictures show two straps. The note said SOME early YJ's used one strap (without specifying tank size or years). My FSM shows two straps which clearly won't work with my tank because of the placement of the hose fittings. But three straps might work with two side straps. But this won't work with my tank because of the way the seam is made.

And in this forum, no one seems to have a better idea than me. That's scary because my ideas are not worth a damn!!

Come on you experts. Chime in and clear this up.

Sparky
Unread 09-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #10
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Where's the confusion? Fifteen gallon steel - 1 center strap, 20-gal poly 2 straps. Sounds like your 3-strap Warn skid allows for either 15 or 20-gal tanks, doesn't mean it's made to use all 3 straps on any one tank.
brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

OK, here's a pic of the stock steel 15 gallon tank I pulled from my '90. There's not even indents in the tank for straps anywhere but the middle or spots on the skids for that matter.

The 20 gallon poly I replaced it with was from an '89 and has two straps like this.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...8/#post9561842

I'm not a fuel tank expert, I can only tell you what I know to be fact from my experience.

What tank do you have now?
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #12
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI timatoe,
Mine looks exactly like your picture minus the dirt (LOL). We have a match!! It's that center strap that I have had a hard time finding. It's not even in the dealers parts manual or in the FSM. I was beginning to think I had the only set up like this on the planet. But, your picture tells me no.

I have a single strap on order. Hopefully it will work.

The cause of my broken strap is the Warn skid plate mounting. The plate mounts to the frame with screw slots. The plate had shifted forward in the slots which caused the Tee fitting on the strap to rub against the Diff cover when the springs were compressed. I can see the scuff marks. This eventually caused the strap to fatigue and break. I can solve the shifting problem by mounting the skid plate in the correct location and then drilling a new set of holes with no slots. This should keep the plate from shifting, thus, clearing the diff even in worst case situations.

Thanks for the picture.

Sparky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.