fuel tank dimensional differences? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > fuel tank dimensional differences?

Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 10-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

fuel tank dimensional differences?

Savvy is making another run of their aluminum fuel tank skids, and this time they want to make them fit more models.

at the moment, Savvy is making them to fit the 20gal poly tanks, but I want one to fit my steel 15 gal tank.

anybody know the difference between the two tanks as far as the external dimensions go

I know the 15 gal. tank only uses one hold down strap across the middle..are there any other differences that would matter as far as fitting in a skid plate would be concerned?

Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

They're the same tank, i believe.. Just a longer filler hose for the 15gal tanks
Unread 10-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

the early steel 15 gallon tanks were truly 15 gallons not just 20's that couldn't use their full capacity... I think they were shorter side to side but the same dimensions front to back and top to bottom as the 20's...I think
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 10-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The dimension for the frame rails is the same. In the pre 91 the steel tanks were 15 gallons, after they went to the 20 gallon tank. The 20 gallon will bolt right in to the same spot. The difference is the skid plate that mounts the tank and the tank itself are the only differences as far as fitting it into place.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
The dimension for the frame rails is the same. In the pre 91 the steel tanks were 15 gallons, after they went to the 20 gallon tank. The 20 gallon will bolt right in to the same spot. The difference is the skid plate that mounts the tank and the tank itself are the only differences as far as fitting it into place.
thanks Que for confirming what I thought I knew about the tank dimensions

if I was to swap out my 15gal steel tank for a 20gal. poly tank would it just be a matter of swapping tanks, skids, and sending units? is the wiring between the two tanks sending units the same? does the fuel gauge work the same with either size tank/sending unit?
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 10-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did the swap.
The connector is different but you can solder the wires from one to the other, both are 3 wires.

No need to swap sending units, the regulator is on the fuel rail and the unregulated output from both pumps are similar in volume.

The vent line and fill hose need to be changed too. Remember that the vent line for the tank limits the amount of fuel you can put in. It needs to be shallow to get the 20 gallon capacity from the poly tank.

The fuel guage will function but full will be off by 5 gallons.
Empty is what we mostly worry about so before putting it in:
Pull the sending unit, clean the tank, and the sending unit contact
Hook up the new wires to the connector
Remove the white baffle in the bottom of the tank
Adjust the float to set zero by bending it and setting it in the bottom of the tank until it is set
Replace the seal for the sending unit and install the sending unit.

Just to make sure that you have everything correct before you attach the vent and fill, attach the the hoses to the fuel pump assembly (Big line 5/8 supplt and 1/2 return) and put a gallon of gas into it. See if it starts and runs.

When it does (Note that I say when not if, LOL) button it back up.
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did the swap.
The connector is different but you can solder the wires from one to the other, both are 3 wires.

No need to swap sending units, the regulator is on the fuel rail and the unregulated output from both pumps are similar in volume.

The vent line and fill hose need to be changed too. Remember that the vent line for the tank limits the amount of fuel you can put in. It needs to be shallow to get the 20 gallon capacity from the poly tank.

The fuel guage will function but full will be off by 5 gallons.
Empty is what we mostly worry about so before putting it in:
Pull the sending unit, clean the tank, and the sending unit contact
Hook up the new wires to the connector
Remove the white baffle in the bottom of the tank
Adjust the float to set zero by bending it and setting it in the bottom of the tank until it is set
Replace the seal for the sending unit and install the sending unit.

Just to make sure that you have everything correct before you attach the vent and fill, attach the the hoses to the fuel pump assembly (Big line 5/8 supplt and 1/2 return) and put a gallon of gas into it. See if it starts and runs.

When it does (Note that I say when not if, LOL) button it back up.
I don't have a fuel rail..my regulator is in the throttle body (I wish I had the multi port injection)

is there a 20gal poly tank that uses the round sending unit from my 15gal steel tank? I've only seen the 20gal tanks with the rectangular sending units
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 10-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Same thing. I have an 89 2.5. The tj and later have the regulator in the tank.
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Same thing. I have an 89 2.5. The tj and later have the regulator in the tank.
Que, I think you misunderstood my question...

do you (or anybody else for that matter,) know if there is a 20gal tank that uses the sending unit with the round, lock ring style of mounting like my 15gal tank uses?...see the pics please

15gal with round mounting hole for the sending unit

20gal with rectangular mounting for sending unit

or do all of the 20gal. tanks have the rectangular mounting hole, forcing me to get the rectangular sending unit to replace my current round one?

I have heard of fuel leakage problems with the bolt in rectangular style of mounting due to the gaskets going bad.
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 10-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

All the 91/95 have the the square. The leak was a recall and fixed. No problem after. You can find the square ones easy cheap and ready to bolt in from anyone scrapping a 91/95 yj.
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

(Some?) early carbed models have the 20 gal. poly with rectangular sender as well. My 88 has one as well as my friends 87. Hope that helps.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
(Some?) early carbed models have the 20 gal. poly with rectangular sender as well. My 88 has one as well as my friends 87. Hope that helps.
hmmmm, so I would guess there are no 20gal. tanks that used the round sender then if the rectangular sender was used on even the early models with a 20gal tank

thanks for the info.
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 10-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There were round ones. Just don't know why or how. They are definitely out there, but not as a main production run. You have a YJ, its hip to be square!
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #14
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There were round ones. Just don't know why or how. They are definitely out there, but not as a main production run. You have a YJ, its hip to be square!
well Que you know how frugal us YJ owners can be at times

I was trying to avoid buying a square sending unit since my current round one works, but if I have to I have to.
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 10-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can get a pump and sending unit used for $100.00. If you need the parts try contacting
http://www.cfoffroad.com/

Tell him I sent you and he will take of you.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.