Fuel setup advice!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel setup advice!!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
anthonywrangler

Fuel setup advice!!!!

Im new to the jeep community. Im not much of a off road kind of guy. Just always loved the rugged-ness of a jeep plus it usefull to tow my car to the track. Little bit og background. When i bought my 88 yj i went to do a oil change but 3 times they gave me the wrong oil filter. So i had them give me one for a 4.0L and it worked. So that lead me to beleive i have a 4.0L swap? Now i was thinking of going tbi or mpfi. I already got the research and or what parts i need to do a tbi. But after finding out that i might have a 4.0L motor should i just go with a 4.0L mpfi intake manifold? Whats needed to go this route. I spent so much time researching the tbi setup so this time i just figured i put the question out to the universe for the mpfi setup. O yes im not looking in going the mopar route.

anthonywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The amount of work needed to go to the TBI is more then going to the 4.0L if you have a donor system to get the parts from. The 4.2 and the 4.0L are essentially the same motor so it doesnt matter which way you go as far as the block is concerned just the amount of work and money. The 4.0L should be easier.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
anthonywrangler

Ok so here is where my problem begins. Im not sure if i got a 4.0 or 4.2. I have a carb system on there now. But when i get the parts for a oil change at the auto parts store for a 4.2 they always give the wrong oil filter. But when i get the filter for a 4.0 it works fine. But i thought ALL 4.0 come fuel injected. And like i said mine is carburated. be uase if i have a 4.0 block i should have a 4.0 head. Than all iwould need to get is the 4.0 mpfi intake manifold with all the parts on it and a harness with the ecu right from a donor car or look up those parts at a junkyard?
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It really doesn't matter to change the fuel system. The block is the same. If you want you can search the forum and find the thread that tells you how to run the numbers on the block to identify the year and type of engine it came from. A carb system will fit on a 4.0 & a fuel injected system will fit on the 4.2.
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
anthonywrangler

I read that if you have a 4.2 block with its original 4.2 head, you have to change the head to a 4.0 head if you want to do a mpfi setup?
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No, The intake will bolt up to the head. The MPFI head does give you more power though. You swap the intake and all the sensors. Swap the flywheel and you need to either mount up a housing setup for the crank sensor or get a hesco crank sensor. Swap the MPFI wiring and rewire the system for a 5 to fire. Swap the gas tank and the fuel lines. That is it.
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
anthonywrangler

The numbers i got on the passenger side of the block on a plate is 101c27 and on the driverside towards the bottom front of the block is ef3235444
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Originally Posted by rustywrangler
I just found this little tid bit while googling:

Build Date Code

The engine Build Date Code is located on the machined surface on the right side of the cylinder block between the No. 2 and No. 3 cylinders.

The digits of the code identify:

1. 1st digit - the year (e.g., 4 = 1994)
2. 2nd and 3rd digits - the month (01-12)
3. 4th and 5th digits - the engine type/fuel system/compression ratio
(MX = a 4.0L 8.7:1 compression ratio engine with multi-point fuel
injection system)
4. 6th and 7th digits - the day of the month of engine build (01-31).

Example: Code "401MX12" identifies a 4.0L engine with a multi-point fuel injection system, 8.7:1 compression ratio, built on January 12, 1994.

So I think you have a 4.0 bottom end, I just don't get the year thing yet. If my math is right, I think your lower end is from a '99. That would explain the lower miles too,.

Your oil filter is also in a weird location. it should point down or towards the frame, not up. Curious, they many have added a 4.2 connection durring the swap

Unread 04-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
anthonywrangler

So what would that make my engine?
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think you are reading the wrong numbers. Do a search there are 2 sets on the block if I remember right. Google out search the forum.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.