***Fuel Sending Unit Question*** - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ***Fuel Sending Unit Question***

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

***Fuel Sending Unit Question***

Here's a good noodle exercise......

I currently have a 1990 2.5l TBI with a 15 gal steel fuel tank with electrical fuel pump.

I have acquired a 20 gal poly tank from a 1989 4.2l that had a mechanical fuel pump (sending unit just has fuel pickup, vapor return, and fuel level/float hardware)

The question is....how to I integrate a 2.5l TBI fuel sending unit into the 20 gal poly tank? Now obviously it's not a direct swap. Does anyone know what 15/20 gal poly tank fuel sending units are compatible with a 2.5l TBI? I am also aware that the fuel pumps for fuel injected models are different from TBI models and will not be a direct replacement. (TBI= pumping 40psi regulated down to 14 psi. FI= pumping 100psi regulated down to 40 psi) Is there a possibility of taking a later model FI sending unit and swapping in a fuel pump from a TBI?

I'm lost. Has anyone traveled this road before?

Squamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have a 1989 Poly tank out of a 4.2L? What shape is the acess to the tank? You would actually be better off selling it off and get a complete tank with the sending unit for a 91-95. It is a direct swap. No problem with the pressure regulator. I have a tank ready to go into mine as soon as the weather breaks.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You have a 1989 Poly tank out of a 4.2L? What shape is the acess to the tank? You would actually be better off selling it off and get a complete tank with the sending unit for a 91-95. It is a direct swap. No problem with the pressure regulator. I have a tank ready to go into mineas soon as the weather breaks.
Correct. The access to the tank is rectangle in shape.

So all I need is a fuel sending unit from a 91-95? Does it matter if it is a 2.5 or a 4.0?
Squamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Read this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...-4-2l-1043678/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel , poly , sending , tank , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.