Fuel Sending Unit - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Sending Unit

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've been having this problem for years too, but finally fixed it a few months ago. I don't necessarily recommend this procedure, was not the easiest, but I like it.
I suspected the problem was in the tank, not the dash, and this got confirmed when I swapped the whole dash for a custom and used a new Autometer gauge. I also know that it's a pain to drop the tank all the time to slightly bend the float arm while trying to get the numbers right. So, I made a nicely done access panel in the floor of the rear bed of the tub. Over about 3-4 tanks of gas and minor adjustments to the float via the new access panel, I'm good. As a start, I used a potentiometer (variable resistor, from signal line at tank to ground) so I knew exactly what ohms were needed to get the gauge to read at the 5 main points (E/.25/.50/.75/F), then played with the float assembly on the bench to get those ohm readings close. The gauge now reads dead on 'E' when I have 3 gallons left, and takes 17+ to fill. It's not dead on linear at the mid points, but it's decent.
So, I can tell you that enough playing with bending the float can make it work.

Unread 02-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #17
rockywrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedeval03 View Post
Rocky, I can tell you, because mine kept doing the exact same thing, that the filter sock on the bottom of the sending unit has come off. I have a '90 and the fuel pump has been replaced 4 times now. This last time I pressed the metal tabs that hold the sock on for a tighter fit, and I also used a couple of zip ties to make sure it doesn't fall off again.

ya know now that i think about it mine didn't have a filter sock on it when i pulled it
rockywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
rockywrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northinger View Post
Here is some specs, hopefully you can read it.
NORTHINGER...THANKS

that helped out alot i can read the first one and that one made the difference. I had already checked resistance(ohm) in sending unit and it reads 1.0 to 94.5 .... obviously empty to full

so that solved it i have got to have an open to ground....
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #19
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The ground is shared with the fuel pump. If the ground was bad the fuel pump wouldn't work. That is the full range of the sender unit. It sounds good not bad.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
rockywrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ahhh man why did i have to know that... thanks though...... i had my hopes up, pointed to it guess it is off to the dash and start checkin there

Tags
fuel gauge , fuel level sensor , fuel pump assembly , fuel tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.