Fuel Sending Unit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Sending Unit

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
acetylcholine
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Sending Unit

Does anyone know why it is so hard to find a fuel sending unit for a 1993 YJ? The fuel guage has never worked in my YJ (only had it one month). To make a long story short, I have narrowed the problem down to the sending unit. I dropped the tank, pulled the sending unit and pump out. Since I have gone to all this trouble, I want to replace both the sending unit and the pump while the tank is down. Fuel pumps are plentiful at my local parts stores, but the sending unit doesn't exist. I have found online on quadratec for a 20 gal tank (MTS brand), but don't like ordering parts I can't see. I think I have a 20 gal tank, but not sure since I never knew how much was in tank. Any advice would be great.

acetylcholine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

All '91 & newer tanks are the same, regardless of capacity. The 15 to 20 gallon modification is well documented.

www.mtscompany.com

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
rockywrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

jeep cuts out when i make left turn

jeep cuts out when i make a left turn only when my gauge reads close to a 1/4 tank... my gauge hasn't exactly works right it bounces ALOT... any suggestions ... i am dropping the tank tomorrow to check for ground issues and see if the float is messed up on sending unit....

thanks for any suggestions

by the way it is an 89 yj 2.5l
rockywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #4
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Try and avoid left turns if possible

No seriously its very common to have your yj fuel gauge not working correctly. Mine stops at 1/8

I would put a few gallons in and mark that as empty. Then add more and watch your miles. Underestimate your mpgs.
Or change your sending unit/float/pump
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The bottom of the pump has a pickup that sometimes drops. The only way you are going to know for sure is to drop the tank and look. You could take it as an oportunity to find a used tank and straps and skid plate from a 91-95 poly tank. They are direct bolt ins and you get an extra 5 gallons.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Mine does it on long turns or hill climbs. I just get gas real quick or stop and drop 5 in the tank. Range with a YJ is some thing I am getting used to it has become a major planning factor for off road trips with the club.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Pum...-/280813118674
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's the wrong pump. He has the 87-90 tbi setup. That pump is for the 91-95 poly tank.
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
rockywrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

that is correct I do have tbi... so a 91-95 tank is a 20 gallaon and is a direct fit??? i understand if the gauge was close but i know it never gets that low that i am running out... the gauge WILL get fixed i am determined lol.... thanks again fellas
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
Northinger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Im not sure if the sending unit is the same as my 93. But i had the same issue with my gauge. Dropped the tank, and pulled the pump, the metal slide the float runs on gets too much resistance. I took some fine grit sand paper and got it down to the correct resistance about. I forget what exactly the numbers are, but it was the problem. You might want to go just a little extra because when I put the unit back together, my gauge would cut off at around 5/8 tank. While your down there you might want to check the gasket, i forget what years the recall is for but I had that issue with the gasket cracking.
Northinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
rockywrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i dropped the tank today had easily 1/4 tank left... so after emptying it i cleaned pump off and did a resistance test with ohmmeter... now i need to find specs.. but low fuel 1 ohm and full tank 94 ohms... but i figured since tank was out to tap into ground wire and re-ground it at the male/female adapter for fuel pump... any ideas????

as far as the float side having to much resistance? to heavy you mean? but i did make sure it did not have a hole in it (placing it in water)... kinda clueless so i was gonna try the ground..
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
rockywrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hey there guys... does anyone have the website to get specs on that fuel sending unit.... i apparently am lookin in the wrong place...
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.mtscompany.com/jeep.htm

Go down to the bottom. The unit selection is on the right. Make sure you select the right year and fuel injection.
Unread 02-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
bluedeval03
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockywrangler View Post
jeep cuts out when i make a left turn only when my gauge reads close to a 1/4 tank... my gauge hasn't exactly works right it bounces ALOT... any suggestions ... i am dropping the tank tomorrow to check for ground issues and see if the float is messed up on sending unit....

thanks for any suggestions

by the way it is an 89 yj 2.5l
Rocky, I can tell you, because mine kept doing the exact same thing, that the filter sock on the bottom of the sending unit has come off. I have a '90 and the fuel pump has been replaced 4 times now. This last time I pressed the metal tabs that hold the sock on for a tighter fit, and I also used a couple of zip ties to make sure it doesn't fall off again.
bluedeval03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
Northinger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is some specs, hopefully you can read it.
image-2114206769.jpg   image-1369277033.jpg  
Northinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel gauge , fuel level sensor , fuel pump assembly , fuel tank

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.