fuel pump won't work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > fuel pump won't work

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-14-2006, 05:16 AM   #1
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

fuel pump won't work

so after i put my gas tank in the back, i can't get the jeep to start anymore. it would crank and crank, and the fuel pump would turn on, but nothing would turn over. i got a new tank and sending unit put in, and now the pump won't turn on, i was assured the pump was working before, so i'm at a loss... i checked the fuse, and ohmed out the coil side of the relay. that part seemed good, plus i switched the relay and put it in place of the ignition one, and it still cranked so, it's fine. but any ideas on what to check before i go and spend 130 bucks on a pump?

jeep795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 05:56 AM   #2
finwrangler

check that wiring is correct at the pump. i had problems connecting wires correctly, pumps looks the same, but polarity can be different.
finwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

the first thing i did was to check the harness. other then that i haven't really looked at too much else. i wire brushed a little bit of the rust that was on the ground but that's it. the wires are even the same colors as my old one.
jeep795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
hulken

did you prime the fuel pump?
hulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by finwrangler
check that wiring is correct at the pump. i had problems connecting wires correctly, pumps looks the same, but polarity can be different.
This happened to me when I had to replace my pump. I oriented the new one the exact same way as the old one... positive on the left, nozzle high in the middle and negative on the right. It wasn't until I had to drop the tank again and yank it out that I realized, after prying back the bushing, that the polarities were swapped.

A quick way to check is to loosen the hose clamps on the tubing from the tank where they meet the hard lines that go to the fuel filter. Half a crank will tell you whether you're getting fuel or not.
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #6
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

i had to ground my fuel pump/sender unit to the body. apparently the ground had corroded somewhere, and was just easier to run a new ground. i ran a wire from one of the bolts on the sender unit to the body....just a suggestion
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 11:57 PM   #7
finwrangler

hey there should be a ground wire at the hand brake attachment, and if its not grounded, car wont start. so check your hand brake (e-brake), if there is loose o-head wire, connect it to hand brake bracket.
finwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.