fuel pump won't pump fuel - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > fuel pump won't pump fuel

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #46
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
On the firewall under the dash above your left foot
Haha buried hind some wires and webs...
I have no 10 amps on it. it looks like its only for the lights and the heater.
got 15s 20s a 5 a 40...

flipit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #47
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

He isn't using the pdc at all for the fuel pump or the asd. That wiring really needs to be straightened out. That block off wires in your pic is an accident waiting to happen. The 12 volt supply makes no sense if it is a stock controller. You need to pull it and try and find id numbers on it. I can help wire around it but if that is a stock controller for a mustang it has to have failed to have power on a ground or you are not reading the right pin on the connector.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #48
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
He isn't using the pdc at all for the fuel pump or the asd. That wiring really needs to be straightened out. That block off wires in your pic is an accident waiting to happen. The 12 volt supply makes no sense if it is a stock controller. You need to pull it and try and find id numbers on it. I can help wire around it but if that is a stock controller for a mustang it has to have failed to have power on a ground or you are not reading the right pin on the connector.
I agree, the wiring does need to be straightened out,
that's more of a long term goal,
Because of how much work it will take.
I pretty much need to redo all the wiring harnesses,
or at least 90% of them.
also if you look at the wiring terminal i put up behind the battery,
you'll see that the Green wire with a black stripe,
which is the hot wire to the fuel,
goes straight down, very snug against the firewall.
It was guitar string tight before- about three terminals in.
so I moved it all the way to the right just to get it at a straight length with minimal slack.
but wire 19.5 has a bundle of extra wire tied up in case i need more length....

when I pull the battery next time I'll show you the nest underneath it,
He crossed two harness's together and left all the extras just hanging.

but back to the topic-
what do i need to pull to find ID numbers?
Unread 10-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #49
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipit View Post
I agree, the wiring does need to be straightened out,
that's more of a long term goal,
Because of how much work it will take.
I pretty much need to redo all the wiring harnesses,
or at least 90% of them.
also if you look at the wiring terminal i put up behind the battery,
you'll see that the Green wire with a black stripe,
which is the hot wire to the fuel,
goes straight down, very snug against the firewall.
It was guitar string tight before- about three terminals in.
so I moved it all the way to the right just to get it at a straight length with minimal slack.
but wire 19.5 has a bundle of extra wire tied up in case i need more length....

when I pull the battery next time I'll show you the nest underneath it,
He crossed two harness's together and left all the extras just hanging.

but back to the topic-
what do i need to pull to find ID numbers?
E9ZF-12A650-E2A

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #50
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Got it! So except for the ignition wires to start this 5.0 none of the jeep wiring is used to run this 5.0 engine swap. But some of the chassis wiring may be used for things like the fuel pump etc

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #51
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Got it! So except for the ignition wires to start this 5.0 none of the jeep wiring is used to run this 5.0 engine swap. But some of the chassis wiring may be used for things like the fuel pump etc
the engine wiring harness and ecu are mustang, the accessories are all Jeep,
and if neither wire really seemed to work best, he added his own.

Now that I got that link for jeep wiring, I can properly chase wires and see what is stock, and hopefully find some 5.0 wiring diagrams and tie it all together.

I gotta knock out some math homework, then I'll look into the 5.0 wiring diagrams, Compare the fuel set up for each, and see if we can quit blowing fuel pumps!
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #52
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

so the idea I'm catching, from Que, is that either I'm reading the wrong pin, or there is some sort of messed up ground/ somehow the ECU is not working properly?
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #53
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, so pin connector 19 is dark green with a yellow stripe, so the ECU I have fits the 91-93 pinout that was first linked.
So what I'm seeing is a pink and black cable that is hot at all times, and it goes into the relay, and out of the relay comes wire 19, which goes into the ecu. and over to the fuel inertia switch which I'm not sure that I have, but if i do, that can be another part.
What I'm seeing here is that if i backtrack wire 19, it should go to the relay. We know it doesn't, so the million dollar question... where does it go?
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #54
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipit View Post
Okay, so pin connector 19 is dark green with a yellow stripe, so the ECU I have fits the 91-93 pinout that was first linked.
So what I'm seeing is a pink and black cable that is hot at all times, and it goes into the relay, and out of the relay comes wire 19, which goes into the ecu. and over to the fuel inertia switch which I'm not sure that I have, but if i do, that can be another part.
What I'm seeing here is that if i backtrack wire 19, it should go to the relay. We know it doesn't, so the million dollar question... where does it go?
The fuel inertia switch is mounted in the dash panel of a Mustang.

A Wrangler uses a roll over valve mounted in the gas tank, The Mustang fuel pump relay is powered by the PK/BK wire.

When the ignition switch is turned to start power goes through the power PCM relay closing the fuel pump relay allowing voltage to travel along the DKGN/YL wire which is probably spliced to the GREEN WIRE in your Jeep fuel pump wiring at the gas tank.

That portion of the DKGN/YL wiring in the Mustang wiring diagram that shows power going through the inertia fuel shut-off switch has probably been eliminated and your green jeep wiring is spliced to it at that terminal board on your firewall

Unread 10-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #55
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

So, if you turn the ignition switch to START or ON that green wire in the fuel pump plug at the gas tank should have 12 volts. If not and you have 12 volts at the terminal board feeding that green wire that green jeep fuel harness wire has a break in it.

Unread 10-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #56
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pin 19 should be relay ground. I am really confused why there is 12 on it. If the wiring is still there on the pdc we can use it to switch back in a relay to power the injector, coil.like the asd and another for the fuel pump. That is the way that controller should work. That terminal block on the firewall is hill jack. What you need to do is figure out what circuits are on the terminal strip and figure out how a ground line from pin 19 has power on it.
Unread 10-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #57
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Pin 19 should be relay ground. I am really confused why there is 12 on it. If the wiring is still there on the pdc we can use it to switch back in a relay to power the injector, coil.like the asd and another for the fuel pump. That is the way that controller should work. That terminal block on the firewall is hill jack. What you need to do is figure out what circuits are on the terminal strip and figure out how a ground line from pin 19 has power on it.
Maybe I am completely wet here but from what I can see the PNK/BK wire is a constant 12v source for fuel pump power BUT is also controlled by the position of the inertia switch. The fuel pump relay is powered by the YL wire BUT is controlled by the PCM power relay to close (turn on) power to close itself and the fuel pump relay also.

Is the LT BLU/OR wire do going to pin #22 the clutch pedal or NSS switch the the ground you want to see?

Unread 10-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #58
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

LOL Layback you rock. Looked at it and you are 100% right. I think I had too many Jamesons last night! Pin 19 still cannot be power. It must be a sense line because it would be hot all the time and give constant power to the pump. It isnt the control line, pin 22 definitely is. Why is there 12 volts on pin 19? Is it spliced somewhere? Layback you nailed it! Flipit, we need to make sure that the line is power going to the tank from that terminal block and the wire and if it is where is the wire it connects to on the terminal block getting power from.
You dont ever hear me admit to this and if you tell the GF I will deny itbut I was wrrr.....wrrrrr......wrong ok! LOL
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #59
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
LOL Layback you rock. Looked at it and you are 100% right. I think I had too many Jamesons last night! Pin 19 still cannot be power. It must be a sense line because it would be hot all the time and give constant power to the pump. It isnt the control line, pin 22 definitely is. Why is there 12 volts on pin 19? Is it spliced somewhere? Layback you nailed it! Flipit, we need to make sure that the line is power going to the tank from that terminal block and the wire and if it is where is the wire it connects to on the terminal block getting power from.
You dont ever hear me admit to this and if you tell the GF I will deny itbut I was wrrr.....wrrrrr......wrong ok! LOL
You weren't wrong...you might have just temporarily veered away from absolute perfection!!

Unread 10-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #60
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe I am completely wet here
So it's not just me, good to know.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.