Fuel Pump Wiring Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Fuel Pump Wiring Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 04-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
jode
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Pump Wiring Question

This is an image of the wiring harness on my 90 YJ. As you can see, there are three wires going to the fuel pump. One of them grounds out on the top of the tank. I hooked 12V to the orange one and the pump kicks on. When I put 12V to the middle one, nothing seems to happen. So what is the deal? I am trying to find out if the fuel pump needs replaced, or if my wires are corroded too bad for it to work. Are the fuel pumps 2-speed or something? If I recall correctly, when I had the fuel tank still installed, there was no sound of anything at all from the fuel tank when I turned on the ignition, so I am thinking it is a wiring problem, but the fact that that one middle wire does nothing has me second guessing...

TIA

90 YJ, 2.5L, 5-speed
jode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My guess is that has something to do with the ASD Relay or the Fuel pump relay. Somebody smarter than me, (Que, probably) will chime in shortly and let you know for sure.
caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jode View Post
This is an image of the wiring harness on my 90 YJ. As you can see, there are three wires going to the fuel pump. One of them grounds out on the top of the tank. I hooked 12V to the orange one and the pump kicks on. When I put 12V to the middle one, nothing seems to happen. So what is the deal? I am trying to find out if the fuel pump needs replaced, or if my wires are corroded too bad for it to work. Are the fuel pumps 2-speed or something? If I recall correctly, when I had the fuel tank still installed, there was no sound of anything at all from the fuel tank when I turned on the ignition, so I am thinking it is a wiring problem, but the fact that that one middle wire does nothing has me second guessing...

TIA

The blk wire with the yel stripe is ground but you know that. The tan wire is for the fuel gauge. If you put 12 volts to that is probably pegs the gauge to full. The orange one is the power feed to the pump.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
jode
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So awesome. Thanks. Not sure why it never even crossed my mind that it was the gauge wire.

Confirmed today that the orange wire was corroded ALL the way through and replaced it with a weather-proof bullet connector. Should have it up and running in an hour or so.

Thanks again!

90 YJ, 2.5L, 5-speed
jode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.